well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The seven laws of pessimism

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The seven laws of pessimism
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
If life is better than ever before, why does the world seem so depressing?

https://quillette.com/2024/01/...n-laws-of-pessimism/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this. Good points to keep in mind, many of which had never occurred to me.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked it. I’m working my way through a lot of the embedded links that take you to supporting material. Lots of good stuff.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I came here to post a link to the same piece.

My favorite quote:

“ But there is one realm that does follow the Law of Attraction, as the mathematician Spencer Greenberg has noted: in fact, we have expressly designed it to do so. Social media feeds work this way. In real life, if you pay attention to cute puppies while taking a walk, you will not be followed by hordes of cute puppies on your next walk. If you can’t resist rubbernecking a horrible car accident, you will not go on to see more horrible car accidents further down the road. But this is exactly what happens on social media when your attention is drawn to either cute puppies or horrific accidents. Even if you don’t consciously decide that you would like to see more cute puppies (by clicking the “follow” button on an account like The Dogist, say), the algorithm will pick up on your preference and give you more of what it thinks you want.”

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34978 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Accentuate the positive.
Eliminate the negative.
Latch onto the affirmative.
Don’t mess with Mr. In-between.

(Anybody recognize that?)

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's playing my song. Smiler

It wasn't always. I discovered a lot sbout myself from the book Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman years ago.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
If I stopped watching all those news feeds, what would I do for the day?