well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NPR leaves Twitter
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NPR leaves Twitter
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
NPR will no longer post fresh content to its 52 official Twitter feeds, becoming the first major news organization to go silent on the social media platform. In explaining its decision, NPR cited Twitter's decision to first label the network "state-affiliated media," the same term it uses for propaganda outlets in Russia, China and other autocratic countries.

The decision by Twitter last week took the public radio network off guard. When queried by NPR tech reporter Bobby Allyn, Twitter owner Elon Musk asked how NPR functioned. Musk allowed that he might have gotten it wrong.

Twitter then revised its label on NPR's account to "government-funded media." The news organization says that is inaccurate and misleading, given that NPR is a private, nonprofit company with editorial independence. It receives less than 1 percent of its $300 million annual budget from the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

https://www.npr.org/2023/04/12...t-funded-media-label

Apparently Musk only has a problem when other entities get government funding...

https://www.businessinsider.co...larcity-2021-12?op=1

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Musk allowed that he might have gotten it wrong.

Ya think... Roll Eyes

Snark aside, I have a twitter account (I know, no one cares but) and I have been thinking about how long I'll keep it...

It's been a great resource for connecting with other people in my field, but it's such a dumpster fire now....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18563 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Don’t see the need to avoid Twitter just because of Elon. Not clear if Elon makes any money off your tweets, you’re certainly not paying Elon out of pocket, and you get to do whatever useful things you do with Twitter on Elon’s dime. What’s not to like? Wink

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
you get to do whatever useful things you do with Twitter on Elon’s dime

I suppose that's one way to look at it... I was just thinking that participating, using the site, implies condoning him....

Posts: 18563 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Article:

Twitter is broken. Thanks, Elon.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
$43 billion, shot to hell

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
$43 billion, shot to hell

Pretty much!

EM has a ton of followers, which I just don’t get, given his over the top idiocy…

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Why? I'm sure most people do it for the entertainment value. Some hang on every word about rockets but I suspect most of the followers are just mildly curious. He is a celebrity.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I just got an e-mail from my local NPR affiliate saying that they, too, were abstaining from twitter.

Musk is an right-wing extremist who was born into wealth (of sketchy origins--South African ruby mines or something like that), basically stole Tesla from its founders, and is using his outsize wealth to try to impose his extremist ideas, plus his hate and bigotry on the world. He has completely ruined twitter.

I've never used twitter. I never will. I've even stopped looking at huffpo and buzzfeed articles that are basically compilations of tweets.

Mrs pj used to read twitter a lot, but recently she said that many services that made daily or automated posts have either shut down, or have stopped showing up because the posters won't pay their eight bucks for a checkmark. This morning she said that one account just posted that they can no longer post automated avalanche warnings. Yeah, that's bettering humanity.

twitter can just die and we will all be better off.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
What little I’ve seen of Twitter seems to be mostly pundits either praising each other or getting in to petty arguments.

There’s surely more to it but I got bored and stopped looking at it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Twitter is whatever you want it to be, based on accounts you follow.

it can be all about economics, philosophy, linguistics, public health, drug development, or petty arguments and inane pop culture.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

That is true, provided those accounts are worth following. It is the same with FB, where 10 years ago I could follow deep and intelligent discussions that don’t seem to occur much anymore. Either those posters stopped posting or stepped back from engaging in those discussions.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13817 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I think most of the deep discussions have moved to subcultures of Twitter. Facebook seems more about family updates, memes, etc.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

But isn't this exactly the current complaint, that this is no longer that case, because the algorithms are all messed up now and the feed is no longer as good as it once was?

It certainly seems that way to me, i.e., there's a lot more junk in my feed than there used to be.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The opposite, at least ostensibly. He made it easier to default to “following” rather than “for you” which includes algorithmic suggestions. Now once you choose “following” it keeps you there, it used to be it would switch back every time you reopened the app. What they’ve done with algorithms that choose content within the set of accounts one follows I’m not sure. That could have gotten worse.