well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    McConnell
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

McConnell
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Apparently there have been a few falls this year that hadn't been previously reported, in addition to yesterday's episode.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/27...this-year/index.html

Why the hell didn't he go to the hospital yesterday? Even if it was a TIA and passed, it's a warning signal that he's at increased risk of having a stroke in the next 30 days....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
From inside the GOP.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...lls-health-rcna96706

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Biden acts the same way.

Nobody seems to get upset by it.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This is just sad. I don't exactly know what compels these folks to remain in their positions long past their expiration date, but I'm pretty sure that no one really wants to have a stroke or embarrass themselves in public.

McConnell has been a horrible, unethical politician (I realize the redundancy) but still... I find this sad. There really should be term limits and/or age limits on public office.

I wonder whether Feinstein would've retired had she not been effectively held hostage by GOP politics? And before everyone's heads explode, yes I realize that "everyone does it," and I'm so tired of hearing that as an excuse.

This is just sad and wrong.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
My father had a TIA with a fall years before he had the big stroke.
After that he would speak a word salad to the employees in the morning and a foreman and I would then direct the employees on the way to the different jobs.
I expect Mitch to be more of an SOB than he has been. He will be aware that he is losing control.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
age limits

What would this look like in practice?

I don't necessarily disagree, but it seems so problematic to define and implement....

The same discussion is happening w/ regard to professors in academia.

The problem is there is wide variety from one person to the next in terms of their health and ability to do their job, contribute etc...

The other problem is money, health care and other costs associated with living in the US. (I mean this in regard to other jobs, not McConnell)

Would more people retire earlier if they weren't terrified of being able to afford living and health care costs?

Also, is the thing keeping these people in their jobs longer different from what's keeping McConnell from retiring or not?

I don't have an answer, I'm just thinking out loud here...

Re Biden and his age, I'm thinking we wouldn't have him in office if it weren't for Trump, so how do we think about his age and these issues?

I have no idea.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is there is wide variety from one person to the next in terms of their health and ability to do their job, contribute etc...

We have age limits for all sorts of jobs.

quote:
Since 1986, mandatory retirement has been generally unlawful in the United States, except in certain industries and occupations that are regulated by law, and are often part of the government (such as military service and federal police agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation)

quote:
Pilots: the mandatory retirement age of airline pilots is 65. The Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots Act (Public Law 110-135) went into effect on 13 December 2007, raising the age to 65 from the previous 60.[26]

Air traffic controllers: Mandatory retirement age of 56, with exceptions up to age 61. Most air traffic controllers are hired before the age of 31 (the hiring cutoff age for those with experience is 36).[27]

Foreign Service employees at the Department of State: Mandatory retirement at 65 with very narrow exceptions.

Federal law enforcement officers, national park rangers and firefighters: Mandatory retirement age of 57, or later if less than 20 years of service.[28]

Florida Supreme Court justices: The Florida Constitution establishes mandatory retirement at age 70.

Michigan Judges of all levels cannot run for election after passing the age of 70.

Minnesota has statutorily established mandatory retirement for all judges at age 70 (more precisely, at the end of the month a judge reaches that age). The Minnesota Legislature has had the constitutional right to set judicial retirement ages since 1956, but did not do so until 1973, setting the age at 70.[29]

New Hampshire Constitution - Article 78 sets the retirement of all Judges and sheriffs at age 70.

New Jersey Supreme Court also established mandatory retirement at age 70.

Maryland Constitution establishes mandatory retirement age of 70 for Circuit and Appellate Court judges.

Oregon – mandatory judicial retirement age of 75.

We can, and should, get this done.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Biden would be his age (plus some) plus four years.

Really?

And Kamala speaks in word salad and never fails to laugh inappropriately.

We're doomed. suave

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We can, and should, get this done.

I mean, I agree with you in theory, but in practice, I feel like there are problems to implement it.

What's your recommendation? Or rather, what age do you recommend?

What should the retirement age be for politicians? How old was Biden when he took office, 78? (I think that's right?)

Wasn't Trump over 70 when he took office?

How old was HRC when she was running for president? (I need to google...)

Would mandatory retirement at 70 solve these problems?

I don't see a clear answer here...

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

I mean, I agree with you in theory, but in practice, I feel like there are problems to implement it.

What do you think the problems are?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Well, I think there are a lot of 70 year old people working and making important contributions, so I guess I'm a little uncomfortable with a blanket retirement age. And there are people younger than that who can't keep up and need to step aside.

One person's 65 is another person's 95?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

People staying in positions when they’re not really capable of performing in the job. They and their staff members occupy positions that essentially make them institutions, too powerful to be challenged within their own party and likely seated in safe districts for their party. I would introduce into evidence exhibit A, Diane Feinstein and exhibit B, Mitch McConnell.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:

People staying in positions when they’re not really capable of performing in the job. They and their staff members occupy positions that essentially make them institutions, too powerful to be challenged within their own party and likely seated in safe districts for their party. I would introduce into evidence exhibit A, Diane Feinstein and exhibit B, Mitch McConnell.

Bingo. Add Robert Byrd and Strom Thurmond as Exhibits C and D.

jon has identified the other problem beyond the competence issue, which is people getting entrenched in office. As Gov Chris Sununu said recently when announcing that he will not run for re-election:

quote:
Public service should never be a career, and the time is right for another Republican to lead our great state...Could I win again? Of course. But it’s [public] service, and someone else needs to kind of take the mantle

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, I think there are a lot of 70 year old people working and making important contributions

A mandatory retirement age for elected or appointed government officials doesn't preclude them from making valuable contributions elsewhere.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Happened again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMNgUTiKyZM

Bazootiehead-in-training