well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Potential downside to intermittent fasting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potential downside to intermittent fasting
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
I thought people would be interested in this, given recent mention of fasting as a dieting approach.

NYT article: Potential downside to intermittent fasting

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18463 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I could not read it, but one thig I see people doing is just the fasting and not watching what they eat. It doesn't work that way.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13553 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Non-paywall version:

https://news.abs-cbn.com/life/...intermittent-fasting

I had put on an extra 10 pounds in the last few years.
I decided to shorten my "eating day" to about 10 or 11 hours and I've stopped snacking between meals. I eat reasonably healthy food but am following no particular diet.

I'm losing inches and weight slowly and it's not that hard.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37893 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We are doing it again now. It seems to work for us, but I also do cardio and resistance training.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13553 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
One potential downside: hunger. Wink

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Seems like a fad that never had any scientific basis. Ex post, lots of people can identify correlations ... heck, much of medical research is just non-causal correlations.

If I wanted to lose weight/inches, I would reduce caloric intake, ensure that the nutritional quality of my foods was high and well balanced, and I would increase activity.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Fung and Stephens both reference a lot of studies, but I have to admit I haven't checked out the studies that they use to make their case for IF.

That said, I don't think it's as simple as calories in/calories out either, and I think that the notion that the timing of our eating may have an impact on our metabolism is something worth exploring. Something has to explain why there are so many overweight type 2 diabetics around.

Thankfully I'm not diabetic, but I know what my caloric intake used to be when I was younger and how it compares to now. I could literally eat anything I wanted and never gain weight. Now I eat *much* less in terms of calories (probably less than half) than I used to, say 30 years ago, but weigh 30 pounds more than I did then. I was at a desk job when I was working and now am out and moving around a lot, so it's not like I'm exercising less than I used to; actually it's quite the contrary.

If I ate today what I used to shovel in back then, I would be morbidly obese. That's no exaggeration.

Maybe it's age, or hormones (my weight bumped up noticeably post-menopause), or my daily eating patterns in terms of timing. But something has totally changed. It's not just calories in/calories out.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37893 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The thing about IF is that it seems to work well for people with 200+ pounds to lose, and Lord knows these people struggle. When I was following the IF Facebook page there were lots of testimonials to that effect.

What it doesn't seem to do all that well is the last 30-50 pounds or so. The solution was always to fast longer - there is no way it can fail if you fast long enough. This is true, but there were people on that page who were eating one meal every three or four days - and strictly keto - and nothing was happening.

There is more to this than insulin.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34942 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree, Steve. Those kinds of fasts don't make sense to me either.

I'm in the "lose 20 pounds" category and am thinking of IF wtg-style, which is eating in an eleven or twelve hour window and cutting out snacks in between meals. Certainly fewer calories than I was eating before, but not tons less.

One thing I have noticed is that I don't get hungry between meals anymore, and I'm not snarfing down breakfast as soon as I come downstairs in the morning. Something has reset. I was getting the munchies every couple of hours. Not anymore.

I do think that while I was eating three very large meals back in the days when I was working, I didn't tend to snack in between meals. Now that I'm home all the time, there's easy access to food and I tended to grab a bit here and there. My daily caloric intake was much higher then than it is now, though, so something else has changed.

Sigh. It's complicated and we haven't figured it out yet.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's complicated and we haven't figured it out yet.

Yes indeed! And probably there are various factors that mix and match such that a set of factors that causes obesity (or contributes to sustainable weight loss) for one person, as completely different results for another....

In addition to the IF stuff, there were also reports a while back about microbiome, right? I didn't follow closing, but if gut bacteria play a role in obesity, that would also support the "it's not just calories in/calories out" argument.

Posts: 18463 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
One of the things I liked about Stephens' approach is her acknowledgement that there people are different and there isn't a universally applicable approach. She talks about just listening to your body and picking foods that agree with you. I certainly know that I can't (and don't) eat foods that I loved when I was younger; I don't feel good after eating them. Yes, I'm talking to you, pulled pork (too much fat) and red wine (actually, alcohol in general.... Frowner )

The other thing is not to get too hung up on target weight. It's just a number in your head, and it may not be the best weight for you physically.

Steve, did you completely abandon IF? I thought I recall you said your arthritis pain diminished greatly when you were fasting.

Would love to hear more about your experiences...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fung and Stephens both reference a lot of studies

Sorry WTG, can you remind me, is Fung the author of the Obesity Code? And who is Stephens?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yes, Fung is author of The Diabetes Code and The Obesity Code.

Gil Stephens wrote Delay, Don’t Deny and Fast. Feast. Repeat.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I don’t want to try IF but I need to do something to drop some of this pandemic weight Frowner

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Wasn’t a fan of Obesity Code,, but got some good ideas from Fast. Feast. Repeat.

But I’m not doing the 16-8 or 22-2 or alternate day fasts. Too radical for me.

Bazootiehead-in-training