well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Cuomo finally acts - schools closed in NYC, Westchester, Long Island

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cuomo finally acts - schools closed in NYC, Westchester, Long Island
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
This week they will come up with a plan for vulnerable students.

Can't say I envy DeBlasio - 1.1MM students in the district. 750k are poor. A similar number have single parents.

It ain't gonna be pretty.

But just because there aren't any good choices, doesn't mean there isn't a correct one.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Similar to Chicago, though all of Illinois' schools are shut down. But the city is where the biggest issues are.

Lightfoot was outlining all kinds of plans.

Ya do what ya gotta do.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Our larger city schools delayed decisions as well, Boston being that last to fall.

Our smaller city has experience with providing free food to kids during storms etc. so they have implemented that and food trucks will be in designated locations for kids to get a meal.

My own org has food left from a canceled farmer's market. We all have keys and are free to pack up bags and drop them to folks in the city who may need food assistance until our supply is gone.

Childcare? Who knows? We do have great nonprofit programs here for kids, but care of larger groups is a challenge.

My office is now on mandatory work at home as of tomorrow. Our folks with kids will work while taking care of kids, so "work hours" will be shorter and spotty.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Chicago schools will still be making food available for pickup for students on the free or reduced programs... last I heard!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think Lightfoot also said the city is reaching out to employers to ask them to work with employees who may have to stay home to watch their kids. No details on what could be done.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
just because there aren't any good choices, doesn't mean there isn't a correct one.

That's a very good way to put it! And it holds for many of the decisions facing us. Ugh.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post