well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Could It Happen to Me?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could It Happen to Me?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
If my kid called me from their phone, panicked and asking for money, I could get scammed.

I’m going to tell them today that, if that ever happens and they are calling from their own phone, I’m going to tell them to hang up and I’ll call them right back.

If they are calling from another number, we need to establish code words.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
yeah this is really eye opening stuff. and i agree that fear could overwhelm your rational brain and make you susceptible. i had no idea these scams were getting so sophisticated, so thanks for this thread. i'll be a lot more aware as a result.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Lisa, is this the piece you read?

https://www.cnn.com/interactiv...ictims-intl-hnk-dst/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It can and does happen far more frequently than you'd imagine. My MIL got taken over a long period of time, for $40K that we know of. being an ex-banker, she kept detailed records of what she sent when. They are very sophisticated at setting the emotional hook. they had her putting cash in magazine pages and going to the post office right as it was closing - and she did it.

Once we got wise and shut it down, they called her neighbors, then sent pizzas to the house, then tow trucks, all trying to find out if she was still there.

I generally oppose capital punishment, but for these greedy lowlife bastards I'd support drawing and quartering.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Lisa, is this the piece you read?

https://www.cnn.com/interactiv...ictims-intl-hnk-dst/

omg. what a story!

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Yeah, John Oliver covered pig butchering this week.

That they can make a fake investment company where people think they are checking their account on their phone, which then shows the value rising, is what hooks people.

Take the advice you gave to your kids: Don’t talk to strangers.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
WTG - yes I believe that is the article I read. Crazy, isn't it?

And SK - no, I didn't send it to him. I met him only a few times, as a customer of the company he worked for. I didn't read the article until months after our business was concluded and I'm not sure I even still have his contact info.

If I ever need to patronize his company again, I guess I will find out what happened then. For whatever it's worth, I did see that the charitable music festival is in fact back in action this coming summer (it had shut down for a year or two due to financial problems) so maybe he is singlehandedly saving it via the one legitimate crytpo-uncle in the universe. :-)

Posts: 4405 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
When my grandfather was in his late 60s and early 70 he was sending a lot of money to a "Christian school" in Indiana. He and my grandmother had many good things to say about the college. I read that the head of the school was scamming a lot of $$$$ from people.
When my father was in his early 80s he was always in a hurry to pay for services that had not begun and for products he had not yet received. In his late 80s my mother took over.
At 76, I am wondering whether my nephew that lives in Denver could handle some responsibility in a few years.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Got an email that purports to be a letter from Social Security today. It says my SS number is being suspended due to nefarious activities. No doubt the money request comes next.
Lowlifes running scam like that should get maximum sentences.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Last year I got taken. I bought a cord of firewood from a guy advertising on Facebook. He had a local address and pictures of the firewood stacked neatly. He asked on the phone for a $150 deposit before loading his truck and making the trip to my house. He never showed up.looking deeper into his Facebook page, I determined that notwithstanding the Maine photos, it was registered to someone in Africa.

I had paid the deposit with PayPal and was delighted to find out they could cancel the payment and refund my money., which I guess was still sitting in his account.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I recently signed on to FB after a month or two. I now have 5 different people trying to scam me - 2 I went to high school with, one very pretty Asian lady, one guy I talk to nearly every day and an acquaintance of (of all people) OT.

I have yet to respond to any of them and I have no intention of doing so.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
On the bright side . . . it has been years since anyone has approached me to buy Amway, Mary Kay, knives, or any other multi-level marketing nonsense.

Has that stuff faded away, or am I at an age where my peers don't fall for that anymore?

The worst was a colleague who threw a party many years ago. When you got there, you learned it was like a Tupperware party, but with baskets. So you could spend $$$ to buy a wicker basket you could get at Walmart.

I never like that colleague, for many other reasons.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I have an acquaintance who got hoodwinked into the whole MLM thing. We all shudder when she's around because she will start trying to sell us the snake oil she's been taking. It's health supplements. They've been proven not to work.