well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Carnegie Tonight

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carnegie Tonight
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Nobuyuki Tsujii

https://www.carnegiehall.org/c...-tsujii-piano-0800pm

SATIE Trois Gymnopédies

DEBUSSY Images, Book I

RAVEL Sonatine

CHOPIN Scherzo No. 1
CHOPIN Scherzo No. 2
CHOPIN Scherzo No. 3
CHOPIN Scherzo No. 4

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Nobuyuki Tsujii

https://www.carnegiehall.org/c...-tsujii-piano-0800pm

SATIE Trois Gymnopédies

DEBUSSY Images, Book I

RAVEL Sonatine

CHOPIN Scherzo No. 1
CHOPIN Scherzo No. 2
CHOPIN Scherzo No. 3
CHOPIN Scherzo No. 4

ThumbsUp

All 4 Scherzos! Cool.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
You're going? Enjoy!

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
When you come back, do tell us all about it. In other words, don't make yourself scherz.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
When you come back, do tell us all about it. In other words, don't make yourself scherz.

Big Grin
Yes, do tell us. Looks a great program.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
So the concert was fantastic. His delicacy and tonal control are simply amazing. I loved his Satie and Debussy. And get this - he played the Ravel even better than I do! (well he did).

The Chopin was fund to watch. I paid special attention to how he approached all the leaps.

(for those who don't know, he's completely blind)

You know how all of our teachers tell us to move our hand into position early, to the extent possible, to make sure it's in in place and give ourselves a tiny bit of time to play the note without harshness? Well, he''s better at that than anyone else.

He also does it constantly, even in movements that most of us wouldn't categorize as 'leaps' but still involve moving the entire hand. It's so impressive to watch, at times it seems like your watching a video with slightly out of sync audio, where the movement occurs ever so slightly before the sound. I think he also leaves the note before a leap earlier than most would, at least in some cases, to give him that tiny bit more time to find the landing spot. He's creative with the pedal to get away with this.

And by the way, he often needs that time for correction. Many times I saw him leap a little too far and do a sub-second correction and find the right note. Again, it's safe to say he's better at this that the rest of us. It's really amazing to watch. It's also inspired me to do a better job on this.

You can what I'm talking about on some of the youtube videos of him playing.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Interesting - about the technique.

I shall look for a you tube.

BTW are you aware or have you played a Tracker Organ. There is a delay between playing a note and hearing the sound. Often rather hard to get used to!
"Tracker action is a term used in reference to pipe organs and steam calliopes to indicate a mechanical linkage between keys or pedals pressed by the organist and the valve that allows air to flow into pipe(s) of the corresponding note."

quick demo -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mzvfJ7279s

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nobuyuki Tsujii

Early performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKDdK7LucXA

A few years later:

https://youtu.be/PQFxZL_WGYg

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Does boynyc get to go?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure he’d phrase it that way. But no, I go with a friend.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
how old is he now? one of my most cherished memories is going to see rostropovich at carnegie hall with my dad. i was 8 years old. my father took me up on stage afterward to have slava sign my program.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post