well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    HBO MAX - what a joke
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HBO MAX - what a joke
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
We have a subscription to HBO and HBO Max as part of our cable package. We've been trying to watch "Mare of Easttown" (which I highly recommend if you have access), but we've been unable to finish it. Why....? Because stupid HBO Max doesn't work. We try to cue up anything on that platform and we get stuck with the "In the Heights" trailer. We can't get past it. When we hit play for anything, it takes us to the In the Heights trailer. We even thought we needed to just watch it (the trailer), which we did--only to have it freeze at the end and not revert back to the menu.

Then we discovered that it only was an issue for our primary TV in the living room. Our secondary cable box worked just fine.

How odd.

Off to deal with comcast on this. I'm taking a bedroll and provisions.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We get it through Roku. There are some hiccups, but it's not too bad.

I had an issue last week where HBO Max (and only HBO Max) wasn't working, I'd get in but it wouldn't let me into any of the shows (something about my account, it said). The issue was solved by simply unplugging the Roku from the power outlet for 10 seconds.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I just got a Roku. For as little as it costs it seems to work very well!

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Good thing we are going to watch In The Heights tonight.

The stage show was great. You could see the genesis of Hamilton in it. Hope the movie is too.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13556 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We're having a family dinner/viewing tonight as well. We were lucky enough to have seen it in its first run on B'way with LMM in the lead role. At the time it was groundbreaking because it incorporated rap. It's very good--can't wait to see it again tonight!

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It was very good. There were differences from the stage version ... some I liked, some I did not. But mostly it was faithful to the stage version.

After people have seen it, we can discuss the differences, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We liked it too. The changes were mostly of scale because they could do such bigger scenes, but it was pretty faithful.

Loved all the cameos.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
What is this thing you call a cable box?

YouTube tv works well, all the time. And no boxes.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
it was pretty faithful.

They did downplay some story lines, and minimized some characters. They wound up eliminating one song I liked, and the ending was different.

You could see LMM's hand in the changes, though.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the lottery ticket thing was underplayed, as was LMM's shaved ice guy. He kind of served as a narrator in the stage show.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I liked the ending, even being different. Saw it coming, but still liked it.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Annnd cancel culture eats it's own.

https://www.rollingstone.com/m...qBS_wP_gwuKbtMblcWf8

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Still haven't seen it.... Frowner

And this HBO Max thing is driving me up a wall. I can't figure out a reason why it only malfunctions on the primary TV set. Comcast says not their problem, because it's a "third party app." There's no way to get customer support for HBO Max. I can watch from our other TVs, from computers and even cast from a computer to the (nonfunctioning) TV. But I can't figure out why it won't work and it's driving me bananas.

I've rebooted a bunch of times, powered down, waited, powered back up, reset the gateway (whatever that is), and finally we even got a new cable box. It worked the first time we used it with the new cable box, and now it's back to refusing to queue up and play anything we select.

Any ideas?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Apparently you aren't alone. Maybe something will pop up in this Reddit thread if the one suggestion doesn't pan out for you...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comca...iculty_with_hbo_max/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We watched Heights the night it came out. I enjoyed it, but thought the pacing was a bit frenetic and I hard a hard time following what was being said.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post