well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Olive smoking

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Olive smoking
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
In my back yard I have one of the largest Russian Olive trees I have ever seen. 5 trunks - very unusual. It was large when we bought this place 30 years ago and it's even larger now.

Unfortunately it is dying and the arborist says there is no saving it. It has some sort of disease which is spread by the glass-winged sharpshooter. He says the disease will eventually kill every olive tree in the county but it hasn't hit my neighbor's big tree so maybe there is hope. Still looks pretty good from this angle but the back side is all dead.

When I got up this morning I found out it had dropped a big branch. I spent a couple of hours chopping it all up.

I've read where olive makes good smoking wood and I have been wanting to try it. The branches have always been too high up to safely cut but today that problem went away. My chop saw is on a job so I chopped up just a few pieces to try with my Sawzall. If I like the flavor I'll chop up more of it - Olive chunks are some $30/bag retail and I have enough to last a lifetime.

Is this an artsy picture or what? Cool

Meat is on the smoker now, and although I have not tried it yet I can tell you that it smells fantastic. If it works out I'll mail some to all y'all.

Chicken thighs and pork chops from the same batch of pork chops as the last two. Seems I have 10# them, a hazard of purchasing my chops at a Carneceria where I don't really speak the primary language. Cool

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I wonder what glass-winged sharpshooter eggs taste like ... Evil

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
I wonder what glass-winged sharpshooter eggs taste like ... Evil

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Interesting!

Pre-seasoned smoking wood falls from the sky. No wonder they call it the Golden State.

Let me know how it was!

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13561 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Interesting!

Pre-seasoned smoking wood falls from the sky. No wonder they call it the Golden State.

Let me know how it was!

Chicken is done so far and the results are in. Olive makes a terrific smoking wood! It's not real strong, maybe like apple. The flavor is subtle - maybe "French". Really, really good. Probably better for Chicken and Pork than for beef. I don't think it will hold up to most rubs. For a little smoke with just salt and pepper though, it's a definite keeper.

And I have enough for 1000 years. Cool

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Here is the chicken:

And the pork:

Both "Texas style" - salt and pepper only. And perhaps a bit of Trader Joe's umami seasoning.

Perfect - and delicious! A pinch of garlic next time, but this method is a keeper!

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
When I saw the thread title, I assumed you had another kind of smoking in mind. Ole

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Here is the chicken:

And the pork:

Both "Texas style" - salt and pepper only. And perhaps a bit of Trader Joe's umami seasoning.

Perfect - and delicious! A pinch of garlic next time, but this method is a keeper!

Oh yum! Have it told you yet how much I love pork?

Perhaps when I come time, you can save the vase of the tree for perspective...think garden ornament, and just lose the tops?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
When I saw the thread title, I assumed you had another kind of smoking in mind. Ole
And I thought you were putting olives in the smoker.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post