well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A chef in a seaside town

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A chef in a seaside town
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
I’m a Chef in a Seaside Town. I’m Not an Epidemiologist.

Business owners like me face a summer of uncertainty, and I’m terrified.

When I glanced out the window of my restaurant one day not long ago, I saw a woman struggling to climb over the large table that was blocking access to our front doors. The table gave my staff a spot to drop off to-go food outside while keeping a wide berth from our customers. But it also served as a visual and psychological barricade: You, our guest, stay on one side while we, the restaurant workers, stay on the other, safely preparing your order.

So I stepped outside to ask our would-be patron, who was old enough to be my grandmother, if she might refrain from crawling over the table, which is surrounded by ropes and planters and signs and directional arrows and brightly colored buoys to reinforce our message. She looked at me, dumbfounded. “But then how …,” she stammered, “how am I supposed to get in?”

https://www.theatlantic.com/id...ing-be-tough/612058/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post