well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Another old house restoration

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another old house restoration
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted
in Wheeling, WV

It takes dedication to accomplish these projects. I once worked with a man who undertook a similar renovation, done room by room while he and his family lived in the old house. Unfortunately, his wife divorced him shortly after the project was done.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have undertaken that project, even in my younger youth. But kudos to her! That's dedication....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I watched the video, it’s interesting… I get what she’s saying about the value of renovating old houses, but… so she points out that many people can’t afford to buy a home that’s not in need of renovations. But, many people can’t afford to pay for the renovations an older home requires. Even if you did all the work yourself, the cost of materials alone pushes up the cost of the house so much.

And many people don’t have the time (or energy!) to live in a home while they’re renovating it and also holding down a job…

Which, I agree, is unfortunate, esp. bc I can total get what she finds appealing about that house.

Oh and we’re not evening talking about the fact that she’s doing this in an area that AFAIK is economically depressed and housing values are quite low, so she’s pouring money into a project that may not have much ROI for her…

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18538 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
She really did respect the house for what it was. Love it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13561 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
If you like renovations and rebuilds, big al, you might enjoy this incredible project. Dan ("the gardener" from his time at Chateau Diaries) bought a burned out Chateau in rural France and is rebuilding it. It's amazing. (Yes, he and Nick are sporting colored beards... it's part of Movember fund raiser.)

https://youtu.be/2a1DJ8zVinc?feature=shared

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10574 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
That is certainly an incredible project. How long have they been at it?

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I think it's been about a year. It takes a vision!

The place has a fascinating history... it was a refuge for Jews during WWII, and it was once owned by CoCo Channel.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10574 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post