well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Uh Oh. A Flood. Now What?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uh Oh. A Flood. Now What?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh no Cindy, this sounds awful. Yes, see if you can stay in a hotel.

Given the circumstances, I think you are smart to go with the insurer’s recommended contractor. And it would be great if they can do the asbestos mitigation at the same time.

The big thing is that I hope you can get to a point where you can have a quiet place to sleep!!

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The asbestos mitigation may turn out to be the silver lining in this cloud.

Back in the day we used to demolish houses to make way for more spaces for mobile homes. It always cost more to properly remove and dispose of the kitchen floor than it did to demolish the whole house.

Including the concrete slab and the septic tank.

If Travelers is going to cover it you’re getting a bit of a windfall.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We had a basement flood many years ago, and the asbestos tile mitigation was the best part of the repair.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9849 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
If the insurance company declares it as uninhabitable (and with asbestos that may be true), you may be entitled to housing, as in an apartment, not just a hotel stay. It depends on your insurance, but it's worth checking.

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
We have almost $200K of displacement insurance. We'll definitely be moving out while the work is done. For one thing, it is summer and the AC has to be off. For another thing, they need to refinish the hardwood floors upstairs, so that will be an oil-based finish that will take time to dry.

Posts: 19829 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I’m dealing with backed up and leaking sewage pipe. Basement is a stinking mess. One company to clear and repair pipe, another to clean up. Insurance company “ not sure” it’s covered.

Ugh.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17714 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Yuck, JF. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
We have almost $200K of displacement insurance. We'll definitely be moving out while the work is done. For one thing, it is summer and the AC has to be off. For another thing, they need to refinish the hardwood floors upstairs, so that will be an oil-based finish that will take time to dry.

Why does the A/C have to be off?

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
I’m dealing with backed up and leaking sewage pipe. Basement is a stinking mess. One company to clear and repair pipe, another to clean up. Insurance company “ not sure” it’s covered.

Ugh.

Ugh, indeed. Never mind the sewer issue.

Ugh is for your idiot insurance company.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Any updates?

Posts: 25175 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Not happy.

The mitigation company came. They set up fans and dehumidifiers. After that, they removed portions of walls and ceilings in a few places. For the ceilings and walls that dried out, they will repair/paint.

Trouble is, when they removed a portion of wall, they accidentally cut an air duct in the living room so that cold air pours out. They did not tell us that this happened; apparently they hoped we would not notice. We noticed.

I took a video of the air duct, which was sliced from floor to ceiling, and I sent it them and told them to fix it. They ghosted me.

Meanwhile, I am not happy with my insurance adjuster either. They sent me an estimate for the repairs that included nothing for damaged carpet in basement and warped hardwood floors in our bedroom. Also, they are trying to hold back 30% of the cost of the replacement vanity in the bathroom. They say they only have to pay "actual cost" which accounts for depreciation until I prove I have had the repairs done.

Mmmm, I don't think that's how replacement cost insurance works. He said I can ask my insurance agent to explain it to me; I said I am capable of reviewing the policy for myself. I asked him to email me a copy of the policy. I have asked twice; he hasn't sent it.

Posts: 19829 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
apparently they hoped we would not notice. We noticed.

... They ghosted me.

I asked him to email me a copy of the policy. I have asked twice; he hasn't sent it.

That's awful!! I can only imagine how frustrating all of this is!!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18847 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Sounds like something called recoverable depreciation.

quote:
At long last, you receive a claim check from your home insurance company — only it’s thousands of dollars less than what you were promised. This may lead you to believe that your insurance company shorted you to avoid paying the full amount. But the more likely explanation is that your insurer deducted recoverable depreciation from your first claim check.

This is common in the home insurance loss settlement process, as insurers typically send out claim checks in two installments: one for an amount equal to the actual cash value of the damaged or stolen property in your claim, and one for an amount equal to the recoverable depreciation of the property. Insurers split up the payments this way to deter insurance fraud and to prevent overpayment.

https://www.policygenius.com/h...erable-depreciation/

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38201 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post