well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Before you pay a medical bill

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Before you pay a medical bill
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Never pay a medical bill without asking these questions first

If you think you’re being overcharged on medical bills, you probably are.

https://www.vox.com/even-bette...-costs-medical-bills

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semi-Regular
posted Hide Post
It’s opaque and messy alright.

A few months ago I tried to lookup costs and prices for a particular surgery at a particular hospital. I found the price list, and it lists what the surgeons and the anesthesiologists would charge, but not what the hospital will charge for the use of the facility (and presumably the supplies and the support staff).

And those are “lost prices.” No one could tell me what the insurance adjusted prices will be. I called the insurance company and asked, even the insurance company could not tell me what the insurance adjusted costs will be. Best they could do was looking at my out-of-pocket maximum and telling me my out-of-pocket cap for that surgery.

Later I learnt that even if I could get the line item insurance adjusted costs, it would not have been accurate because, depending on what procedures were done on the same day or on different days, the insurance company may waive the costs for certain line items if they are done with some other line item on the same day.

We still have a long way to go to reach “price transparency.”

Posts: 122 | Registered: 12 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
the hospital my surgeons use has complete price transparency. well before your surgery date, they send you a detailed and complete invoice in the mail, tell you what your out of pocket will be after insurance, and give you the option of getting a discount if you pay in full in advance.

great hospital. a non-profit and rated best in the state.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post