well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What are my options for lizards as pets?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are my options for lizards as pets?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted
If want something small, friendly, and easy to take care of.

Posts: 25184 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
If want something small, friendly, and easy to take care of.

Doesn't everybody have lizards as pets in Florida? They're all over the place, indoors, outdoors...you know, the little guys.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13882 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Yeah, when I was growing up in S. Florida I had tons of Anole Lizard "pets." Well, when I caught 'em, which was frequently. Quite a game! Those early skills have come in handy out in the southwest, where I can still corral a prairie lizard or bull snake pretty easily! Big Grin

They don't like being caught, however. "Friendly" isn't a word I would apply to reptilian friends.

Posts: 12756 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I like them but they can't survive in terrariums. I'm looking for serious suggestions. I've ruled out having an cat because they are very sensitive animals and a lot of work.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
How bout a lounge lizard

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13642 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I think one of the common lizards of choice these days is the bearded dragon.

Posts: 12756 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I want something gecko looking, smooth skin, and smaller.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, ....

Seriously, then get a gecko!

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
You could always get a republican. They're small of mind (today's crop anyway), and easy to care for, a steady diet of lies will keep them happy. I'm afraid they're not all that friendly though.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10676 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
You guys aren't much help! This wasn't meant to be spoof thread. I guess I'll have to ask the all powerful, all knowing Google.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Hey, you said "gecko like," so I said "then get a gecko!"

My wife and I were once in the Keys, at a little motel on the side of US1. Geckos adorned the walls of the place ... real ones. They were really cool. Well, until one on the ceiling "lost its footing" and came crashing down into bed with us! ROTFLMAO

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry. I didn't read your post carefully. I'll find out about them. Thanks.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Leopard gecko, FTW.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Beautiful.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We had a Euromastyx for years. Egyptian Spiny Tailed Lizard. Spike. Pretty cool pet.

I had him in a big glass tank in my office. Full heat lamp, rocks, logs from the desert. He liked to sun himself. Ate frozen mixed veg, live crickets and mealworms. Liked to explore the house when we let him out, but slowly. He’d sit in my lap and let me pet him. The dogs were completely uninterested

Then he got sick. Lost weight, no interest in crickets. An internet search revealed that the #1 vet for big lizards was Dr. Greek - who kept offices 5 miles away. His clients were big zoos and Universities. We were already taking our dogs there - win-win!

He had a look at my sickly lizard and shook his head. He told me that he knew as much as anyone but really didn’t understand these big lizards. What he did know, however, was they can develop liver problems and what often cured them was a daily administration of OraGel. Yeah, the stuff for your teeth. Suggested we hit CVS, get some, give it to him (her?) twice a day and see what happened.

It worked! He was back to his old self! Ate everything in sight and put on weight!

I re-homed him when I needed more space in my office. The guy who took him was a real enthusiast and as far as I know still has him.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post