well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hoarder House
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoarder House
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

Dang. Wish I'd known you'd find the mate to my parents' lamp. I loved that thing but left it behind in the vacation home because I don't want to have a hoarder house....

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Do you know who made it?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don't but I love that lamp! I love a lot of the pieces in your hoarder house, Steve!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Do you know who made it?

Appears to be made by Modeline. There's a floor lamp version, too.

Guess I shoulda kept it. Prices are through the roof.

https://www.etsy.com/market/modeline_lamps

https://www.chairish.com/maker/modeline

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
There is something so California about this:

I like it. I wouldn't have it in my house. But is interesting.

I love the wood lamps, too. And the coffee tables. Real wood! It's a good thing I don't live any closer.

I gave away my Lane Acclaim dining table and one of the three coffee tables. I gave them to an art gallery.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30030 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Do you know who made it?

Appears to be made by Modeline. There's a floor lamp version, too.

Guess I shoulda kept it. Prices are through the roof.

https://www.etsy.com/market/modeline_lamps

https://www.chairish.com/maker/modeline

Wow! Thanks for this!

Turns out my parent's lamps were made by the same company. The floor lamp is the first picture that comes up on your first link.

There is also a floor lamp in the hoarder house, along with a couple of table lamps.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
OMG I love those lamps!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I see several Modeline lamps are attributed to Adrian Pearsall. There are a couple of pieces in the house that look like Pearsall or a knockoff.

Straight out of "I Love Lucy". Good luck finding replacement fabric:

I don't know about this one. Not marked but the legs look right. Maybe later?

Chet Beardsley "Atomic" chairs. Like every other chair in the house they are absurdly low - like sand chairs. There's no way I could get in and out of them every day.

Not marked:

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You have all the makings for a Mad Men spinoff there...

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
You said there wasn't much furniture.

I cannot find the words to express how much I want this table:

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
There is something so California about this:

I like it. I wouldn't have it in my house. But is interesting.

I love the wood lamps, too. And the coffee tables. Real wood! It's a good thing I don't live any closer.

I gave away my Lane Acclaim dining table and one of the three coffee tables. I gave them to an art gallery.

I like that. A lot.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I just noticed the table that the TV is sitting on on the left edge of the picture. Is that the Lane table with the blocky block at the top of each leg that sticks out about a quarter inch beyond the skirt along the edge of the top, then the top is a bit smaller than the legs and skirt? We had two of those sofa tables. Built like a tank. Survived three boys growing up. Had a few cigarette burns. My mother still had them in her apartment when she passed away. I sold them to a woman who stages houses for realtors. I hated to let them go, but I didn't have room for them.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Could you tell if she lived in the house with that lovely furniture for a while and then descended into the hoarding? Like maybe she had an emotional crisis like the one that SK described.

It just doesn't make any sense to put a lot of effort into furnishing a place and then pile boxes of toilet paper rolls on top of it for the next few decades.

I guess none of it makes any sense.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15506 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Amateur.

My brother in law has filled every room in his mother’s house with junk, floor to ceiling. He puts things (eg empty liquor bottles) into bankers boxes. Then he stacks them to the ceiling. You open a door, and you cannot step into the house. It looks like a one off joke in a bad sitcom.

It is a fire trap, so I stopped letting the kids stay with grandma when they were little. The floors sag. You cannot access the furnace or washer/dryer. There has been no maintenance for decades because no workers will go there. Once all the rooms were filled up, he started filling the back yard, covering the mounds with tarps. The neighbors complained to the county , and MIL got cited.

Most of my in-laws are hoarders. One family aunt died by falling in her garage and was so buried in garbage that she couldn’t free herself and died of positional asphyxiation.

These people are world class hoarders. They wrote the book.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Could you tell if she lived in the house with that lovely furniture for a while and then descended into the hoarding? Like maybe she had an emotional crisis like the one that SK described.

It just doesn't make any sense to put a lot of effort into furnishing a place and then pile boxes of toilet paper rolls on top of it for the next few decades.

I guess none of it makes any sense.

It happened over time. She filled up her first house from about 1980 to 1990. She then married her third husband and they bought the house you see here, keeping the other house as sort of a warehouse. When they got divorced she had to sell the first house as part of the divorce agreement and moved everything to the current house.