well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hay horse peeps

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hay horse peeps
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
This is fascinating.

https://x.com/thefigen_/status...939353124085966?s=46

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
In the “wild” (they aren’t really wild, they are feral) on sandier/rocky ground, horses move all the time and wear their hooves down and don’t need to be trimmed. Softer ground, not so much. This also happens a lot to neglected equids. There are a lot of horses out there who are difficult for the farrier, and so they just don’t get done. I have to tranquilize mine for shoes, and now that I have a new farrier I may have to tranquilize him for trims. First time was ok, this last time was not. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
That's extraordinary to see.

My experiences with horses have been limited to domestic ones, mostly kept by friends and relatives, and I didn't know the hooves could grow so much when untended.

My sister had a horse on our farm when we were growing up. It was given to her by a cousin of my mother because the horse had been foundered and had hooves too soft to be shod as a result. The cousin had previously shown the horse, but without shoes, she couldn't do that. That horse's hooves did require occasional trimming by the farrier, but it never reached anything like what that video showed.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think I need one of those trimmers for my own toenails…

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Have seen horses with hoofs like that. They had not been fed, their bones were visible. The owner should have been charged with animal cruelty.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
love the nicker at the very end. that was the horse saying "oh that feels so much better!"

I do my own hoof trimming so I watch a lot of instructional videos. To my surprise, Mr Pique also gets engrossed in watchng them. There's something very satisfying about finding the hoof under the mess. Kind of like sculpting a statue--you remove all the material that isn't the statue.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post