well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Let's talk about lawns and grass
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's talk about lawns and grass
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I just saw an interesting post in Reddit. A guy posted that his big grass area has several big mounded areas which appear to have things growing wild. He’s not sure what to do with them.

Consensus was to leave them alone and see what grows. They may have been put there as pollinator gardens. Some suggested throwing in some wildflower seeds.

Kind of a novel way to cut down on turf and turf maintenance. The picture of it looked pretty cool in contrast to the nicely manicured turf.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34963 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Steve what subreddit is that? I should take a look.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18489 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
R/gardening.

Posts: 34963 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I thought about suggesting that the SKs turn some of the lawn into wildflower meadow. Would be very cool.

https://www.familyhandyman.com...e/wildflower-meadow/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37907 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
R/gardening.

Thanks!

quote:
wildflower meadow

That might be nice too, I'll have to read about it.

Posts: 18489 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It depends on your level of commitment to biodiversity and other trendy landscape concepts.

Its not going to be easy and it’s not going to be cheap.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
wildflower meadows are very challenging to create and maintain. It's not as easy as just scattering some wildflower seed. As soon as you disturb the soil the weeds will have a party. And if you don't disturb the soil, the wildflower seeds won't take.

Lawns are actually the lowest maintenance option.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Quite coincidentally, a woman I follow on YouTube just today posted a new video on the subject of lawns. She has a wonderful channel called "The Middle Sized Garden". UK based but much of the information she shares translates to this side of the pond.

https://youtu.be/dmf5hCzzJtw?feature=shared

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10573 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, that's the impression I'm getting here...
-_-

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
wildflower meadows are very challenging to create and maintain. It's not as easy as just scattering some wildflower seed. As soon as you disturb the soil the weeds will have a party. And if you don't disturb the soil, the wildflower seeds won't take.

Exactly. I spread a wildflower mix on our curved corner bed, underneath the street sign. It’s only about a 2’ x 10’ strip, but I have to constantly dig the stuff I don’t want out, and put the stuff I do back in. The blue flax tends to take over.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Millions of Wildflowers Now Delight the Town After Vermont Couple Got Tired of Mowing the Lawn All Day

I think part of the issue is what you regard as wildflowers versus weeds. I've had mixed luck cultivating patches of wildflowers. I think the easiest ground cover in the long run is substantial evergreens. One corner of my property is steeply sloped and I didn't like mowing it. Putting in some spruces, pines, and hemlocks eventually shaded out everything else and required maintenance only when high winds broke trees or branches.

There was a heavily eroded hillside on the farm I grew up on that was planted in pines during the depression by a CCC team as a soil conservation measure. By the time I was a boy in the 1950s, there was nothing but pine needles beneath the trees, which had completely covered the hillside.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7409 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I love hemlocks...such a beautiful and versatile evergreen.

Also:

"A weed is a plant growing where you don't want it."

(I like dandelions, too, but only from a distance, like in my neighbor's yard.)

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37907 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post