well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Multilingualism

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Multilingualism
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
How our brains cope with speaking more than one language

Speaking a second or even a third language can bring obvious advantages, but occasionally the words, grammar and even accents can get mixed up. This can reveal surprising things about how our brains work.

I'm standing in line at my local bakery in Paris, apologising to an incredibly confused shopkeeper. He's just asked how many pastries I would like, and completely inadvertently, I responded in Mandarin instead of French. I'm equally baffled: I'm a dominant English speaker, and haven't used Mandarin properly in years. And yet, here in this most Parisian of settings, it somehow decided to reassert itself.

Multilinguals commonly juggle the languages they know with ease. But sometimes, accidental slip-ups can occur. And the science behind why this happens is revealing surprising insights into how our brains work.

This happens to me every so often. I'll use a Lithuanian word while speaking English to someone. Just kind of pops out.

https://www.bbc.com/future/art...s-changes-your-brain

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post