well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Meat Loaf

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meat Loaf
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I made what was billed as the “World’s Best Meatloaf” last night. It was “meh” - too soft, not much flavor.

What’s your go to recipe?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
I’m not a huge meatloaf fan but it’s my mom’s favourite meal so we have it sometimes when she is over for dinner. We switched to a Ricardo slow cooker recipe and it’s super delicious! I know that slow cooker meatloaf sounds ridiculous but it works!

MEATLOAF

Cook 5 HOURS

Serves 4 TO 6

Freezes well

Preparation 30 MINUTES

My mother-in-law has always cooked her meatloaf in the oven-like most of us, actually. But then I asked myself, "Why not try it in the slow cooker?" The result was a pleasant surprise. All that's left to do when you get home is to make some mashed potatoes.

Sauce

125 ml (1/2 cup) ketchup

1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
15 mL (1 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce

Salt and pepper

Meatloaf

340 g (3/4 lb) ground pork
340 g (3/4 lb) ground beef
20 salted crackers (saltines), crushed
2 eggs
15 mL (1 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
10 mL (2 tsp) chili powder
5 ml (1 tsp) dry mustard
1 ml (1/4 tsp) garlic powder
250 mL (1 cup) chicken broth

1 SAUCE In a blender, purée all the ingredients until smooth. Season with salt andpepper. Set aside.

2 MEATLOAF In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, except for the broth. Season with pepper.

3 With your hands, shape the meat into a loaf about 25 x 8 cm (10 x 3 inches) and place in the slow cooker. Pour the broth all around the meatloaf. Pour the sauce over the meatloaf. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or until a thermometer inserted in the meatloaf reads 70°C (160°F).

4 Slice and serve with mashed potatoes and a green vegetable. (ETA: He has a potatoes au gratin recipe we do alongside this one in our other slow cooker to make things ridiculously easy.)

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmm, meat loaf. Yummy

Mom's version was terrible (sorry, Mom!), so I grew up thinking that I hate meat loaf. Then I found the recipe for Market Street Meat Loaf in The New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins of The Silver Palate. I became a convert. Great out of the oven and makes fabulous sandwiches.

I skip the water bath and just bake a free form loaf. I love the browned crust you get on the outside.

quote:
MARKET STREET MEATLOAF
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
3/4 c. onion, finely chopped
3/4 c. scallions, finely chopped (green onions), white bulb & 3 inches green
1/2 c. carrots, finely chopped
1/4 c. celery, finely chopped
1/4 c. red bell pepper, minced
1/4 c. green bell pepper, minced
2 tsp. garlic, minced
Salt to taste
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
3 eggs, well beaten
1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. half & half
2 lbs. lean ground beef chuck
12 oz. sausage meat (not fennel-flavored Italian sausage)
3/4 c. fine fresh bread crumbs, toasted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet, and add the onion, scallions, carrots, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the moisture from the vegetables has evaporated, 10 minutes. Set aside to cool; then refrigerate, covered, until chilled, at least 1 hour.
Combine the salt, black pepper, white pepper, cayenne, cumin, nutmeg and eggs in a mixing bowl and beat well. Add the ketchup and half and half. Blend thoroughly. Add the chuck, sausage, and bread crumbs to the egg mixture. Then add the chilled vegetables and mix thoroughly with your hands, kneading for 5 minutes. With damp hands, form the mixture into an oval approximately 17 x 4 1/2 x 1 1/2 inches--resembling a long loaf of bread.

Place the meat loaf in a baking dish and place the dish inside a larger pan. Pour boiling water into the larger pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the water bath, and let the meat loaf rest for 20 minutes before slicing and serving. 8 to 10 portions.

https://www.cooks.com/recipe/9...street-meatloaf.html

The recipe is a bit fussy so if I'm feeling lazy do a less complicated version of the above. I just use some finely chopped onions and carrots as the veggies and I don't chill them.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I like mushroom flavored meatloaf over ketchup ones, so I usenLipton Onion Mushroom soup mix recipe, Then I add in umami powder, more mushrooms, etc. If you have a smoker, smoked meat loaf is great.

LIPTON ONION-MUSHROOM MEATLOAF
1 env. Lipton onion mushroom soup mix
1 1/2 lb. meatloaf mixture, ground beef and ground pork
1 c. soft bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. ketchup (I use remoulade sauce)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl combine all ingredients. In large shallow baking pan, shape into loaf. Bake 1 hour.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13548 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post