well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Yeah, I drive a Kia

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yeah, I drive a Kia
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
And just noticed all of the increase in thefts due to a tiktok challenge...

Apparently, even without the fob in the car, it can be driven. Ugh.

Got a steering wheel lock for when I'm not in the garage.

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I saw those stories.

I think the Club is a deterrent, but I also saw YT videos about how easy it is to drill them out to get them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU82KlRxS2w

Cordless tools have made all of these thefts easy peasy.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Which model?

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I have a Niro with push button start. Still trying to find out for sure if it is only the cars that use a key to start, or if all of them are easier to steal.

The club is just a big visual device to keep the thieves moving along...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7555 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I thought it was models that use a key and that don't have an immobilizer chip in the key.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
We have a Stoplock-pro for both cars, one of the best deterrent steering wheel locks. Apparently a professional thief will take at least 5 minutes to remove one.

However both cars are quite old and are not luxury makes, so the locks have become more for our peace of mind.

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 384 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mr SK was telling me about that but I didn't quite get how the the theft was possible.

Anyway, hope you don't have any problems Ron!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it is primarily the ones that require a key to turn...

But, the young thieves are still breaking in to newer Kias and Hyndais that are updated and trashing the steering column trying to start them.

The steering wheel locks seem to be enough to get them to look for another car. Luckily, we have indoor parking in the city, so it is only while I'm out tuning, or out in the evening that I need to be concerned.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com