well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Detroit's third-shift bars

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Detroit's third-shift bars
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Detroit’s Third-Shift Bars Were a Lifeline. Now They’re a Dying Breed.

Designed to serve late-night factory workers,
the city’s early-morning bars may be in steady decline, but the ones that remain are vital.

https://punchdrink.com/article...placement=newsletter

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37897 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Around Pittsburgh, the mill gate bars that served the steelworkers after their shifts mostly disappeared when the mills themselves disappeared.

I never thought about the other shift workers in healthcare or public services who might want to stop in a bar after their shift ended. There are still diners and restaurants that open early in the morning, but you can't get anything stronger than black coffee in those places. I think the liquor laws still prescribe a 2 AM closing time for bars in Pennsylvania and I think also limit total hours of operation, so it's hard to be open at the end of the night shift and comply with the law.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7407 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Well, you still can't buy a bottle of wine outside the state store there too.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Well, you still can't buy a bottle of wine outside the state store there too.

Not so. The law changed a few years ago to allow beer and wine sales in supermarkets and convenience stores. The wine selection tends to be rather limited, so if you're looking something less ordinary, you'll still have to go to a state store.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7407 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Ah! I have a good friend in Sewickley who complains that he has to go to the state store to get anything decent. Didn't know it was available otherwise.

I delivered pizzas for about two weeks in college. These folks would close the store about 2 AM and everyone would go to someone's house to party until dawn. It was a strange nocturnal life that I doubt I could ever get used to. So out of sync with the rest of the world and your own body.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Next town over is Lorain, home of an enormous, abandoned steel plant. I drove by and took photos. There are still huge piles of coal on site just waiting to be shoveled in to the furnaces. I can only imagine how it looked when it was in operation. I’ll wager that the surrounding neighborhood looked really nice at one time.

Alas, no more, although it does feature the Hispanic meat market where I buy fresh lard and carne asada. The reason I mention it is that there is a “Main Gate Tavern” that appears to still be in business. I’ll might check it out just to hear the stories.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34945 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
We (my high school and college friends) used to go to an "after hours" club (although not often, only when we were very enibriated) after the Ybor City, Tampa clubs were required to close at night.

It was pretty sketchy. It must have been run by the mafia. Lol.

I wouldn't be caught dead in one today.

Posts: 24719 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I think the NYC bars can stay open till 4am. There is a little place a couple of blocks from here that is open late, but it’s not a rowdy scene. Very hip esoteric cocktails, gourmet ice chipped off a very special block, etc. Above my pay grade. It’s funny because we are not a hip neighborhood (or if we are, I haven’t heard).

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post