well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tell me about mattresses
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about mattresses
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
The modern thing is to order a foam mattress on line, but I'm not convinced. I've tried a few foam ones and I still prefer an innerspring mattress. The best mattress we have came from Costco, but the mail order ones are less expensive.

Does anyone have experience with the mail order (Casper, etc.) type?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Hey Steve,

Not mail order, but similar I think.

When we moved the UK, we bought a mattress that was rolled up into a tube, like the mail order ones.

It was comfortable, and we were expecting it to last for the duration of our expected 3 years in the UK.

It did last that long, plus and extra year 'cause we stayed 4 years. BUT - it broke down on my side of the bed. My weight (about 190) was enough that a dip formed where my torso lay at night. Rotating the mattress helped, but really just by creating a more uniform dip over the whole mattress. If we had stayed longer, a new mattress was definitely going to be needed. So - a 4 year lifespan.

Seemed to hold up well with my wife's weight (about 110 lbs).

ymmv of course.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The last two I’ve bought were from the as-is corner at IKEA. I paid about half of list price. They are very comfortable and seem to be well made. Both have removable machine-washable covers.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30028 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I don't want to tell you how old the inner spring mattress I sleep on is. I hate mattress shopping and have been avoiding looking for a replacement.

There are mail order mattresses that are hybrid inner spring and foam and they come rolled up like the all foam ones. Haven't tried one, so can't say how good they are.

We ordered a foam mattress from Costco to put in our guest room. I still haven't slept on it, so I have no clue how comfortable it is. Thanks for the reminder.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37683 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
If you want bad reviews get cheaper mattresses. A good nights sleep = good reviews. Also, get king size if you can, even if it is tight. It will give you an edge in bookings. We are in a condo in Orange Beach right now and the bed is quite nice.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13515 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
We got an awesome inner spring mattress in person at a Denver mattress company chain store. Very happy with it, and it has got to be around ten years old by now. Had to send the Costco one back because it started sagging. The Costco customer service was impeccable, though.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
If you want bad reviews get cheaper mattresses. A good nights sleep = good reviews. Also, get king size if you can, even if it is tight. It will give you an edge in bookings. We are in a condo in Orange Beach right now and the bed is quite nice.

As an avid airbnber, I concur. We will pick the place with the king mattress every time. And we sleep on a queen at home.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Steve, I've always heard that the foam (Temperapedic, etc.) make the sleeper feel hot especially as the night wears on.

You all are reminding me about the catechism of needing to flip mattresses. As I would need help accomplishing that, I wonder just how vital that is for the longevity of the mattress. (Speaking as someone who broke a rod in my spine, merely trying to put on a Queen sized fitted sheet - lifting the mattress corner did it. CRAACK - and a sense of something snapping inside. Eeker)

And how long ought one wait between flips?

When last shopping for this mattress I completely burned out after trying floor model after floor model. (MUCH worse that trying shoes even for hard-to-fit feet.)

After I lost the ability to tell them apart, I just made a few notes about specs that most seemed to matter. The one that most stands out is to pay a lot of attention to what the manufacturer says about how the corners stand up - re their reinforcement. Look at a cutaway model of how they're made if available.

I do remember that there are some Scandinavian mattresses which were qualitatively in a whole different class from the others. I'm sure the would have satisfied the fussy princess of the pea story, though. Unfortunately, also being in a much different class price-wise too I gave them a pass.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
TIP: If you've ever had a sleep study (you can even call the techs who run them and ask), they have THE best mattresses made. Ask the brands and specific models. I was very disappointed to miss out on their last sell off when they were replacing the whole batch. (The techs themselves had snatched most of them up!).

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
My son has a foam mattress (Endy - a Canadian brand that competes with Casper) and he LOVES it. He’s only 19 though, so his experience is likely going to different than someone with more years on them...

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It will be a king and a pair of twins. I'm looking for the best mattress available at a reasonable cost.

Some of them run in to the thousands. Eeker

Posts: 34810 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We bought a Serta, I can't remember the name but we specifically got a firmer one for our room and a more average one for the guest room. Neither are the rolled up kind, but foam from a mattress store

Anyway, it's foam and yes it sleeps hot. And it wasn't as firm as we'd hoped. And it's starting to dip on Mr SK's side (after only 6.5 years)

Skeptical

I hope we can get an inner coil one next time??

Sorry, I suspect this isn't helpful to you!
Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
It will be a king and a pair of twins. I'm looking for the best mattress available at a reasonable cost.

Some of them run in to the thousands. Eeker

Whatever you pick, get good rubberized covers.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13515 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We bought one of the higher end IKEA mattresses (a king and a queen), not memory foam. THEN we bought their foam topper. This is for our place in Vancouver. I really like it. It's definitely firm (which I like) but the topper gives it about 2 inches of softness. Both our kids have the same arrangement. We're going on 3 years with ours, and no issues so far. I wonder if the topper might not help prevent the sagging issue?

Posts: 35362 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Whatever you pick, get good rubberized covers.

I would not have thought of that.

Thanks!