well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A Question on Dress for Shiro

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Question on Dress for Shiro
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
SK, I have a kimono that I think is considered a yukata. It is cotton, blue and white modern design and very comfortable in nearly new condition.

My mother in law bought it 20 years ago or so for me while on a vacation on Nantucket. There was a small shop that had imported these and they were said to be 'used'. We had spent a lovely afternoon looking all of them over..what a treat!

I love it but don't really wear it as a robe, so in my closet it hangs. Frowner

I am currently going through my closet and sewing supplies looking to refashion or alter wonderful clothing I have not worn much.

It is a sacrilege or disrespectful to cut this one down? I am thinking of bringing to the about knee length so I can wear it over a pair of jeans or a skirt. Otherwise, it will remain as is, complete with the open style square sleeves. Yes

I have a collection of African Ankara fabric I have been collecting from a local shop and working on making a few things from that. I have some other pieces I have made from hand woven Guatemala textiles that are so near and dear to my heart.

I so love all textiles of all cultures but want to be sensitive not just to the fabric but the garment style and the cultural traditions as well.

What say you?

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is a sacrilege or disrespectful to cut this one down?

Not at all! Esp, if it's a yukata, which is a more casual garment. If you can share a photo I can give you more info. Smiler

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18581 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will work for you, but I did an image search of 浴衣 再利用 which means "reuse of yukata"
https://www.google.com/search?...QAw&biw=1280&bih=602

Or this one might be better:
"浴衣地リメイク服 Clothes made from yukata fabric"
https://www.pinterest.jp/pu_ta...4%E3%82%AF%E6%9C%8D/

Lots of great ideas there!
Smiler

Posts: 18581 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
OMG that second link is amazing! Much more than I am thinking...

I just want to shorten it and keep those amazing sleeves!

If I remember right it was described as a men's version..I am wondering if it was a bulk purchase from hotels as it is like new...The stitching is loose, on first glance like hand work but on closer inspection, it looks like machine..The fabric is wonderful..

But the best part are those sleeves!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Great fabric!!

I would say that's probably a men's yukata, given the color scheme and pattern, but it's hard to tell 100%.

Also, I would say it's probably not a hotel yukata because the pattern on hotel yukata isn't usually so bold. Again, hard to say 100%, but that's my guess.

If you're curious, do a google image search of 浴衣 女用 (women's yukata) and then compare to 浴衣 男用 (men's yukata) and you'll see the differences in colors and patterns.

It's been a very, very long time since I've worn one!

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, Shiro!

I took the plunge and chopped off 18 inches in length. It falls at about my knee now. I plan to wear it without a sash of any kind...I am now remembering one of the things I love about it, comfort! The length just made it impractical.

In studying it more this morning, I was impressed by the construction. Most modern patterns are just rectangles. But this had added panels, lined shoulders and a tiny bit extra padding in the facing around the neck. I opted to hand sew the hem in keeping with the way it is put together..sewing on a machine would have made the hem more bulky.

I had thought about putting pockets in the sides but when I examined the seams, there were more complex than I expected..So no pockets for now.

With your help, I hope to wear this more out in public rather than have it just hang in my closet!

Thanks so much for your help! Smiler

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Awesome!! I bet it looks amazing!!

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We want pictures!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post

Wore it to a family wedding...I made a mask from the hem left over...

This is "Shorty" just sayin.. Blink

MillCityGrows.org

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I’m so happy for you and your family!

If you want to post some wedding photos I know I’d like to see them and so would Mrs. Miller!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
For Steve....My nephew's amazing bride.

She lost her Mother as my nephew lost his Dad ..very emotional...

Her brother, just 2 weeks before his retirement walked her down the aisle in uniform.

MillCityGrows.org

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Both photos are great!! I’d love to see a photo from the front with you Smiler

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The bride looks terrific and you do too! And that bouquet!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Beelady, I was struck by your apparent sensitivity toward modifying what I would have simply regarded as a garment. It's an appreciation of culture that I simply don't possess or profess to understand. In any event, the result is wonderful and had the extra benefit of providing us with some very happy wedding pictures.

I am glad to enjoy the results of this thread, even if I don't understand everything behind it.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post