well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mollywalloped

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mollywalloped
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
I have a friend in West Virgina who tells me they are getting Mollywalloped by snow out there. I have never heard this word before and I need to use it more often!

What do you guys call a big storm or a lot of snow?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
snowmageddon!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Slobberknocked?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25709 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Nor’easter (often)

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Polar vortex

(Actually I just like the phrase, I'm not sure what the true locals call big storms. AM would know.)

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Polar vortex

(Actually I just like the phrase, I'm not sure what the true locals call big storms. AM would know.)

Actually, not sure! Depends on what kind. Snowstorm (old school). Snowmageddon or Snowpocalypse (new school). Ice storm aka freezing rain (what we had yesterday). Silver thaw (ice on top of snow, melting and refreezing). So many names, depending on how awful it is!

So many people without power this morning. Ice taking down trees taking down lines, blowing transformers. We’re lucky so far, knock on wood!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I have a friend in West Virgina who tells me they are getting Mollywalloped by snow out there. I have never heard this word before and I need to use it more often!

Is that the opposite of Mollycoddled?

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I have no word for a big snowstorm.

I've heard a big rainstorm called a frogstrangler or a gullywasher.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've heard a big rainstorm called a frogstrangler or a gullywasher.

or ...

a cow peeing on a flat rock

or ... in Miami where I grew up

a palmetto pounder

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Nothing to do with snow, but rather with regionalisms.

I suspect it's not just Pennsylvania slang, but before moving here I certainly had never before heard "cattywumpus".
It sure fits my house, though! Since buying it (against my will*) it's been described that way far more than the average house.

*When the two year rental house we lived in went on the market owing to the landlords' divorce, I was not at all sorry to leave it. Unfortunately, my son's severe allergies and asthma (50% chance of survival predicted by his doctors) led in a different direction. When signing a lease to a newly constructed house, I looked up from the contract to see my little son turning blue.

I only narrowly escaped from the lease, face to face with the terrible realization that we had to buy our rental. It was a "known evil" and if another house had once been home to a cat (as a single example), he wouldn't have survived it. He had to be given emergency medicine right in the doctor's office against "essence of cat" (or whatever they tested him with as part of the 50 back pricks on which he scored highest - most allergic.

You can't rent or purchase a house on trial! His life was at stake. Worse still, mortgage interest rates that year were 14%!
So we had to purchase this cattywumpus house. I gather it means kind of constructed hodge podge, not linear. *sigh*

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My friend from Lubbock used to use “frog strangler”. Smiler

Posts: 34969 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://idioms.thefreedictiona...m/Molly+whop+someone

Interesting, it seems "molly wallop" is not snow-specific.

No, I don't have any unusual expression to describe big snow storm.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thursday. Razzer

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
quote:

Thursday. Razzer

Big Grin