well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Now here's a dream property for you

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now here's a dream property for you
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted
The owners are friends of mine. The wife is a fellow journalist and we have worked on projects together. The husband is a former city councilman and we served on the town's open space advisory committee together. It was Andy's dream to own a winery, and when he and Connie met and married, rather late in life, her family money made his dream possible. Their wine is pretty terrific, btw.

They are great people and they are asking only half of what the property is worth without the conservation easement they rushed through before putting the property up for sale, so it can never be developed.

A decent house on a nice lot of half an acre in this neighborhood goes for a million or two. They just gave away real estate gold in service to the community.

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...?utm_medium=referral

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21368 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I think I’d have to see the financials on the winery before I weigh in.

Nice piece of property, though.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35003 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
probably one of the very nicest location in all of montana.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Had lunch yesterday with a woman who lives near Whitefish.
She said that locals are openly hostile to newcomers.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25736 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
You've got really low property taxes there! They pay about $7,000. We pay more on our place in Santa Fe which has only a small fraction of the market value of that place.

Posts: 12574 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Had lunch yesterday with a woman who lives near Whitefish.
She said that locals are openly hostile to newcomers.

it didn't used to be that way. but when you can't find a place to live, or your kids can't find a place to live near you because of all the rich out-of-staters moving in and driving up prices, you'd be pretty hostile, too.

we just got our new property tax assessment. our taxes just went up 60 percent. according to the dept of revenue, our house's value has more than doubled in just six years.

the average montanan makes about $30k a year. where are they supposed to live?

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
You've got really low property taxes there! They pay about $7,000. We pay more on our place in Santa Fe which has only a small fraction of the market value of that place.

i've been looking at the new mexico market a long time. property taxes are vastly cheaper in NM than in MT. connie and andy no doubt have an agricultural exemption on their taxes.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

i've been looking at the new mexico market a long time. property taxes are vastly cheaper in NM than in MT. connie and andy no doubt have an agricultural exemption on their taxes.

Property taxes in CA, oddly enough, were dirt cheap. I pay twice as much in tax here in OH than I did in CA on a house worth 1/3 as much. I also pay a 1% city income tax, which blows my mind.

This is what happens when you let Republicans gain access to the levers of government.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35003 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

Property taxes in CA, oddly enough, were dirt cheap. I pay twice as much in tax here in OH than I did in CA on a house worth 1/3 as much. I also pay a 1% city income tax, which blows my mind.

This is what happens when you let Republicans gain access to the levers of government.

Wait, I thought Republicans hated taxes. Confused

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13831 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

Makes sense. Cents too.

Posts: 12574 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post