well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Modern day train heists

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern day train heists
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I didn’t even get halfway through the article but found it fascinating. Maybe someone can find a way around the paywall. I have a subscription.

—————
“The explosion of the e-commerce economy has created an opportunity for thieves — and a conundrum for the railways.”
—————

Modern day train heists

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I couldn’t find a non-paywall link, but you can post a gift link. A subscriber gets 10 gift links a month.

How to:

https://help.nytimes.com/hc/en...rk-Times-Subscribers

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I just found the sharing feature in the article. Here is the link they offered for free access: (it looks like a collection of articles so scroll down to this one and click to expand).

Free access

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Here’s another gift link just in case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/0...3YNh4&smid=url-share

Wow, interesting article. I had no idea this was happening. I don’t think I’ve ever had a package just disappear before being delivered to me… or if I did, getting it replaced was seamless enough that I don’t remember it.

A while back I read about another problem with super long trains, for example, communities who are separated from medical facilities by railroad tracks. Someone has a medical emergency and can’t get medical care because a super long train take so long to pass that it takes 30-45 minutes for the railroad gates to opens and the EMTs to get through. That problem was briefly mentioned in the article, since the super long trains are connected to the increase in e-commerce.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post