well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Take a Stand 20! Get the lead out

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/4063969797

19 January 2023, 07:10 PM
dolmansaxlil
Take a Stand 20! Get the lead out
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:

Not a fan of mechanical pencils, though others in my family swear by them. I find the lead is both too sharp (I rip/scratch up the paper) and too fragile (I break the lead). Maybe I just write weird.

All of this!!!

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

19 January 2023, 07:11 PM
dolmansaxlil
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by big al: I like the Koh-i-Noor Rapidomatic pencil with the metal lead tip and grip. My heavy fist breaks plastic-tipped pencils in no time.

Big Al

I'm so old I learned to draft using a leadholder and one of those table mounted sharpeners you swirl the pencil around in to sharpen the lead.

That’s what I used in drafting class, too!

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

19 January 2023, 07:21 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
Over-engineered mechanical pencils

Oh yeah!!!!!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

19 January 2023, 07:36 PM
AdagioM
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Over-engineered mechanical pencils:

https://youtu.be/PESa3Du3udY (5.5 min.)

https://youtu.be/wGU9cyIyeFw (6.5 min.)

Even if you don’t need them, they are quite fascinating.

Those are cool!

http://pdxknitterati.com

19 January 2023, 10:06 PM
RealPlayer
Japan makes some sought-after beautiful non-mechanical pencils as well.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

19 January 2023, 11:14 PM
piqué
i'm a huge fan of ticonderoga #2 but lately i've fallen in love with a staedtler jumbo e-pencil. it feels like writing on silk on my SuperNote.

I dont write on paper any more.

fear is the thief of dreams

20 January 2023, 12:33 AM
RealPlayer
Composers I know are obsessed with so-called Blackwings as some kind of ultimate. Not every Blackwing, as the company got sold and resold, just those of a certain period.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

20 January 2023, 12:55 AM
Steve Miller
The only topic that got more interest than pencils was toilet paper.

Who knew? Blink

Life is short. Play with your dog.

20 January 2023, 01:13 AM
Steve Miller
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by big al: I like the Koh-i-Noor Rapidomatic pencil with the metal lead tip and grip. My heavy fist breaks plastic-tipped pencils in no time.

Big Al

I'm so old I learned to draft using a leadholder and one of those table mounted sharpeners you swirl the pencil around in to sharpen the lead.

That’s what I used in drafting class, too!

My drafting class was a bit less structured.

I’d been laid off as a facilities manager and took a job back in maintenance as a way to pay the
bills. It was essentially a plating shop and one of the worst jobs I’ve ever had. I quit it three times but came back to make the house payment.

A position became open in facilities management and I jumped on it. I was fully qualified except one thing - I didn’t know anything about drafting. I was honest about it and when told the position required drafting I told them I would figure it out. They hired me, God knows why.

First day on the job I discovered that there was a high school intern on staff who didn’t know sh!t but he knew drafting. I told him I’d buy his lunch every day if he would show me how to do it. I knew what the drawings were supposed to look like and he taught me how to make them. Benny -bless him - saved me from foreclosure. I was a quick study but I’m still terrible at it. I will say that Benny ate very well for about a month.

I went on to design three buildings, mostly by modifying existing drawings. Got a bonus and everything. I still have the drafting supplies he told me to buy.

Good times!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

20 January 2023, 09:41 AM
CHAS
Pencils?
When I worked at Keystone the place was flooded with cheap ballpoints with Keystone printed on them.
They were almost too carpy to steal, but I still have some.
My penmanship has been heavily criticized since the second grade. I took a drafting class in high school and believe I did not fail because no one could fail that class.
Computers make it possible for me to communicate when speaking is not practicable.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.