well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Take a Stand 20! Get the lead out
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take a Stand 20! Get the lead out
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Pencils:

Dixon Ticonderoga or mechanical?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
both!!

And for my go-to mechanical pencil, I use 2B lead!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18525 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Mechanical.

After using a high quality drafting pencil for many years, anything else is like driving a sedan instead of a sports car. I usually use a 0.5mm pencil with HB lead. I occasionally use a 0.7mm pencil for heavier printing such as lettering on mylar drafting film with the special lead for that purpose. I like the Koh-i-Noor Rapidomatic pencil with the metal lead tip and grip. My heavy fist breaks plastic-tipped pencils in no time.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Ticonderoga. Black instead of yellow, because I just like the look better: https://weareticonderoga.com/s...-wood-cased-pencils/

Not a fan of mechanical pencils, though others in my family swear by them. I find the lead is both too sharp (I rip/scratch up the paper) and too fragile (I break the lead). Maybe I just write weird.

Posts: 4405 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find the lead is both too sharp (I rip/scratch up the paper) and too fragile (I break the lead).

Try a softer lead!

Also, the quality of most notebooks made in the US is horrible, so that might be part of your problem

Japanese notebooks are soooo much better, with good quality paper and a good pen or pencil, the difference is enormous!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18525 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have a couple mechanical drafting pencils. At least one of them was my dad’s Koh-I-Noor that has the name of his benevolent employer engraved in it .

But I lose things.

I love the BIC disposable mechanical pencils. They come in .5 and .7. They are inexpensive. I think there about five pieces of lead in each one. I have yet to run one out of lead. I lose them before they run out.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mr wtg is hooked on these:

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Are Dixon Ticonderoga pencils even made in the US anymore? Once bought some at Staples (think they were Ticonderoga) and were dissatisfied because the leads were off-center and sharpened unevenly.

We buy General's Semi-Hex #2 by the box. They are good and made of real cedar in the USA...across the river from here in New Jersey actually.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I love mechanical pencils. I keep one in every knitting project bag for making notes while designing. The retractable lead means I’m not getting pencil all over my bag, knitting, pattern.

I like a pretty color, and a comfort grip.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al: I like the Koh-i-Noor Rapidomatic pencil with the metal lead tip and grip. My heavy fist breaks plastic-tipped pencils in no time.

Big Al

I'm so old I learned to draft using a leadholder and one of those table mounted sharpeners you swirl the pencil around in to sharpen the lead.

I still have some but now I just use wooden pencils and keep a battery powered sharpener on the table.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Anything with a good eraser for choir music...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Back when I worked for a living, I used Pentel mechanicals. Had both the 0.5 and 0.7 mm. Almost always HB lead.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

I'm so old I learned to draft using a leadholder and one of those table mounted sharpeners you swirl the pencil around in to sharpen the lead.

I still have some but now I just use wooden pencils and keep a battery powered sharpener on the table.

I have a couple of leadholders as well, along with a couple of packs of leads, but I don't really find any use for them any more. My employer provided the sharpeners at each drafting board so I never bought one for personal use. For occasional sharpening, I used a a sandpaper pad. My main use for an electric sharpener has always been for colored pencils, mainly used for mark-ups.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I use mechanical pencils. I have two: a Pentel GraphGear with .7 mm lead and a Sharp Kerry with .7 mm lead. I like them both and switch back and forth between using them.

The Sharp Kerry has a removable cap that can fit over the tip when it’s not in use. This saves me from having the pencil poke holes in my shirt pockets.

A problem with most mechanical pencils is the tip of the pencil. Most of them don’t allow the pencil tip to retract inside the barrel to prevent poking. I could get a pocket protector but they’re kind of nerdy nowadays. I’ve had Pentels with a retracting sleeve in which the pencil’s tip can retract inside the barrel which spares shirt pockets from holes but it was expensive and the clutch mechanism kept breaking.

Another common problem with mechanical pencils is that when the lead is down to its last quarter of an inch or so, it’s beyond the pencil’s clutch mechanism. The clutch advances the lead when you press the plunger.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Over-engineered mechanical pencils:

https://youtu.be/PESa3Du3udY (5.5 min.)

https://youtu.be/wGU9cyIyeFw (6.5 min.)

Even if you don’t need them, they are quite fascinating.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post