well-temperedforum.groupee.net
Social Security

This topic can be found at:
https://well-temperedforum.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9130004433/m/4023940497

18 March 2020, 02:22 PM
Steve Miller
Social Security
I'm close to my 65th birthday so I applied for Medicare as recommended. It's all done on line.

There is a page where I can check the status of the application and it says "in process". It also says a representative from SSA may be contacting me if they have any questions.

About a week after I applied I got an email claiming to be from someone at the SSA. It said to call a Mr. Hill at the phone number given. It looked really hinky - logo was sloppy, sentence structure strange - and I ignored it. I've been told that SSA is like the IRS - they only use mail, never email or phone.

Yesterday I got another email, equally hinky looking but in different ways, from another person supposedly from SSA. I checked the return address and it really does come up as an SSA email address and the phone number really is a phone number at the SSA in Northern CA. I know there are ways to fake this stuff and I'm still not inclined to call.

I was going to go to the SSA office and see what's up but now it's closed for CV.

Any ideas?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

18 March 2020, 02:30 PM
pianojuggler
Just call the number. When they tell you to go to the store and buy a Western Union MoneyGram for $670 to cover the application fee, you can tell them that the store is closed due to CV.

Sorry. I don't actually have an actual useful advice.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

18 March 2020, 02:34 PM
Steve Miller
How would anyone who does not work at SSA know I applied for Medicare? Confused

18 March 2020, 02:35 PM
Doug
Call Social Security at 1 (800) 772-1213, Their general helpdesk number. I believe they’re working even though the offices are closed.
18 March 2020, 02:39 PM
Doug
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
How would anyone who does not work at SSA know I applied for Medicare? Confused

Pretty easy to find online that you’re 65 years old I’m guessing.
18 March 2020, 02:51 PM
Steve Miller
Great idea!

I called and their estimated wait is 1 hr. 30 min. on hold or I can get a call back in 45 min. or so. I'm not going anywhere (duh!) and opted for a call back.

Thanks!

18 March 2020, 03:32 PM
wtg
I doubt very much that there would be an actual name associated with any communication from SSA. They're usually generic communications like "check your benefits online", or a confirmation that something has occurred.

You did the right thing - call them at the appropriate number as shown on the SSA.gov website and go from there.

I turn 65 next month. Starting at the beginning of the year I was inundated with phone calls offering to help me select my Medicare policy. I just told them that I already signed up for a policy and am not looking.

The scammers know you're turning 65 and just assume you're going on Medicare. So do the online insurance brokers.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

18 March 2020, 03:49 PM
Steve Miller
Yup - it's a scam.

Lady on the phone told me that SSA does not use emails and they don't make phone calls.

18 March 2020, 03:55 PM
ShiroKuro
quote:
Yup - it's a scam

Glad you got confirmation! And it's a reminder for us all, be careful!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

18 March 2020, 03:55 PM
CHAS
I got a lot of mail and email when I was applying.
Used the contact from AARP to contact a known insurance broker to set up the United Healthcare supplement.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.