well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pulse oximeter accuracy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulse oximeter accuracy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Covid-19 care, including distribution of lifesaving therapies, was significantly delayed for Black and Hispanic patients due to inaccurate oxygen readings from devices that can work poorly in darker-skinned individuals, according to a study published Tuesday. The finding may be one reason much higher Covid-19 mortality rates have been seen in communities of color across the United States.

https://www.statnews.com/2022/...arker-skin-patients/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Wow. I would not have expected this since they go through the nail.

You can imagine next-gen ones that read the shade first and adjust accordingly.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they'd find a sex disparity if they looked for it, since men have higher bone density.

After all, the disparity in covid deaths between the sexes dwarfs that observed between ethnic groups. One could imagine this being a contributing factor, at least at the margin.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have not heard of the sex disparity. they do not seem to have an explanation as of yet.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
What’s funny is we heard lots of attempts to prioritize covid treatment by race, most of them shot down once revealed to the public.

Can you imagine if some poor apolitical public heath figure had made the case for prioritizing guys? ROTFLMAO

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I have not heard of the sex disparity. they do not seem to have an explanation as of yet.

Much of it is social factors, vaccine take-up, NPI usage rates, different work environments, etc. But there’s still a 10-15% gap that remains unexplained, IIRC

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
What’s funny is we heard lots of attempts to prioritize covid treatment by race, most of them shot down once revealed to the public.

Can you imagine if some poor apolitical public heath figure had made the case for prioritizing guys? ROTFLMAO

Heads would explode.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post