Notify
Tools

Bagbnb
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Like Airbnb, but for your bags.

We've used it several times. Usually when there's a big gap between check in time and arrival.

It works like Airbnb in that it's just a platform, individual hosts sign up. So the actual 'host' might be an independent hotel, a cafe, whatever. You don't know exactly who the host is until you pay, to prevent you from cutting out the middleman.

Usually 5-8 bucks for a day. It lets you pick out hosts by approximate locations on a map.

Anyway, just wanted to pass this on in case anyone needs it sometime.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I like the concept, but I am generally opposed to these "gig" services due to the free-for-all environment. I'd want some serious tamper-evident things on my bags and clear recourse for loss or damage. If the app is "just a platform", do they take any responsibility other than "leave a review"?

For this service, wouldn't useful locations be very close to transportation hubs?

If I'm taking the train back into London and have most of a day to kill before catching a flight out of Heathrow, I'd want to park my bags at the train station I came in to, or at Paddington.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don't know, and if the host looked dicey i'd back out. Every time i've used it the host was an actual hotel (though never a big chain), and i've been leaving my bags at hotels for years. We never drop off passports or wads of cash or anything.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It's especially useful in cities that discontinued bag storage at train stations due to terrorism.

Montreal, for example, is where we discovered it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Google is pretty good for that. Mary Anna and I have checked bags at places we Googled in both NYC and Bath, England. No problem either time (although it was easier to find places in Bath, a coffee shop right across the street from the train station).

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post