well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Interesting day today

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting day today
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
I had relatively major excision on my back today for one of the less scary skin cancers. Dermatologist asked me what music I'd like to hear.

I said anything I don't care. She said, it's going to be 30-40m, might as well listen to what you like.

(as if that part isn't unusual enough)

I asked for the Rach 2, and without skipping a beat she said "Is Kissin ok?"

She made some comment later about the beauty of his playing. I asked if she'd ever seen him. She said "I've known him since he was a small boy, we grew up together.

I asked what he was like as a boy. She said "a normal boy, except he worked 8 hours a day. His mother was very strict."

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Would a parent that did that today be locked up?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Great story! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Eeker Wow!

Did you invite her to the online piano forums??
Ole

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
P.S.

quote:
"Is Kissin ok?"

What would have been funny is if you had said "oh god no, anyone but him" and seen how she reacted!!

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
That is such a cool story!!

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Hope the excision was complete and you got clean margins. Were they able to close it with a skin stretch? All in all, a pretty crap way to "enjoy" music, even if it was Kissin, but way cool to find a personal connection to him.

Oh yeah, feel free to not answer with any details if that's too far into the personal zone.

Take care.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Dan: zeroing in on the fact that there are health concerns involved.

The rest of us: piano? did someone say piano? drool....

suave

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Hope the excision was completely successful, jon. And what a cool story! Thanks for sharing.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
That is so cool.

There are so many smart people in the NY area. I used to be part of a casual group of local tea enthusiasts I met online, and we'd get together at our houses/apartments in Brooklyn or Manhattan. They all knew about the esoteric music I played and had arcane knowledge of composers I didn't know. It's humbling.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I love small world stories!

In the meantime, I hope all turns out well for you health-wise, Jon.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine that happening in Montana. I would know better than to say I didn't care about the music. The fact that she even knew what the Rach 2 was...

But on to the important thing... heal up well and no more cancer for you!

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That was a rather major excision! Was this with a plastic surgeon? That's a lot of work. Heal well!

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post