well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NYT: we’re teaching music to kids all wrong

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYT: we’re teaching music to kids all wrong
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
NYT: we’re teaching music to kids all wrong

I never really thought about possible connections between how music is taught and whether music is taught or cut from k-12 programs, but it does make you wonder if the programs would be cut less if they were better, had less attrition etc.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
He emphasizes the involvement of parents and family. That's kind of a non-starter for kids who aren't lucky enough to be the children of musical parents.

I grew up with live music in my home every single day--my father had chamber music rehearsals in our living room every weekend and he practiced on his own every evening. He also taught me how to listen while driving us places, using the radio.

My husband grew up in a home where they didn't have so much as a record player or a radio in the house, let alone musical instruments. This musical impoverishment didn't stop him from loving music deeply--something I've seen in many friends, even as I was growing up--they got no exposure from their families, but I invited them to listen to one incredible work, and the next thing I knew they were taking up the 'cello--I think love for music is an inherent trait that just needs a bit of encouragement... But it did stop my husband from taking up an instrument. That was something nobody in his family had ever done.

He was in his 50s when I bought my piano, and I invited him to use it and take lessons. He shyly declined. Not because he had no musical sense, but (I believe) because it just wasn't a part of his culture to play an instrument! And so foreign to his sense of self.

Schools can't do it alone.

My dad started a chamber music society with performances initially in the showroom of the auto dealership he was a part owner of and gave out free tickets, and especially encouraged families to come and bring their children. When he met small children he would ask them, "And which instrument are you going to play?"

This is a cultural problem. Maybe schools need to return to daily music class with everyone having to learn how to play the recorder, or even the kazoo.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21362 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I think bringing back the recorders would be a good program.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Schools can't do it alone.
/snip/

This is a cultural problem. Maybe schools need to return to daily music class with everyone having to learn how to play the recorder, or even the kazoo.

I agree with all points, pique.

But ensuring that music ed remains in schools, and is done more effectively and impactfully, will make a difference.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Start with singing before anything else. Your voice is the instrument that is always with you.

I don’t expect a majority of kids to stick with an instrument. I don’t expect a majority of kids in sports to stick with sports. But exposure to all of it is good.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9807 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
It's not surprising that many students quit band. It's something to celebrate that many do not quit. It's not for everyone, like sports isn't for everyone.

I feel the author of the article hasn't fully formed their opinions yet. "There is no magical fix.", he says (which I agree with), yet rattles off a litany of things we "need" to do to fix the "problem" while failing to acknowledge that not all children are the same.

There is no problem. Those who love music will find it. And those who love to make music will stick with it unless they have a bad teacher. And this is what I think matters the most: The teacher. A good teacher makes all the difference in the world (even with a less than desirable method). A teacher who transcends their learning about how children learn and connects with the child in front of them will be a source of nourishment, making progress possible.

There are all sorts of pedagogical approaches to teaching music. None of them make that much difference in the wrong hands.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10577 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
The article focuses on marching/concert bands, and the statistics may indeed show that kids are quitting these bands.

But I wonder if there are statistics for rock bands, pop bands, metal bands, folk bands, ethnic bands, garage bands … and that perhaps the numbers are not as pessimistic once these other forms of participation in instrumental music making are taken into account.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12701 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Marching band is a lifestyle, and very time consuming for parents and kids. Concert bands, school orchestras and jazz bands less so. If our school district is any indication, music in public schools is doing just fine. It is always going to be less so in districts with less parental resources and involvement.

I think music needs to be taught with an eye to making it fun, not training to be a professional musician. Those who wish to go the immersive route will do so, but I think more kids would learn to play in a fun atmosphere.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13573 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think music needs to be taught with an eye to making it fun, not training to be a professional musician. Those who wish to go the immersive route will do so, but I think more kids would learn to play in a fun atmospher

So true. Having been raised in the classical music world I saw a lot of kids quit (myself included) because of the intense pressure to be serious about music from parents. Carrying forth the high expectations of parents to become a professional is too heavy a burden for children, and not appropriate, IMO.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21362 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post