well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Please, someone make him stop
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please, someone make him stop
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Geraldo used to be a good investigative journalist. His exposé of Willowbrook was groundbreaking.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
GOP Sen. Ben Sasse wrote on Facebook Wednesday night that he has been urging his Republican colleagues to "reject" objecting the certification process of the Electoral College and President-elect Joe Biden's victory, adding that talk of objecting the process is a "dangerous ploy."

"Having been in private conversation with two dozen of my colleagues over the past few weeks, it seems useful to explain in public why I will not be participating in a project to overturn the election -- and why I have been urging my colleagues also to reject this dangerous ploy," Sasse, the Republican senator from Nebraska, wrote in a six-part Facebook status late Wednesday night.

He added: "The president and his allies are playing with fire. They have been asking -- first the courts, then state legislatures, now the Congress -- to overturn the results of a presidential election. They have unsuccessfully called on judges and are now calling on federal officeholders to invalidate millions and millions of votes. If you make big claims, you had better have the evidence. But the president doesn't and neither do the institutional arsonist members of Congress who will object to the Electoral College vote."

The occasional critic of President Donald Trump alleged in his post that his Republican colleagues have entertained claims that the election was fraudulent out of fear of the political backlash from the President's base.

"When we talk in private, I haven't heard a single Congressional Republican allege that the election results were fraudulent -- not one," Sasse wrote. "Instead, I hear them talk about their worries about how they will 'look' to President Trump's most ardent supporters."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/31...dangerous/index.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
President Trump urged fellow Republican Brad Raffensperger, the Georgia secretary of state, to “find” enough votes to overturn his defeat in an extraordinary one-hour phone call Saturday that election experts said raised legal questions.

The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.”

Throughout the call, Raffensperger and his office’s general counsel rejected his assertions, explaining that Trump is relying on debunked conspiracy theories and that President-elect Joe Biden’s 11,779-vote victory in Georgia was fair and accurate.

Trump dismissed their arguments.

“The people of Georgia are angry, the people in the country are angry,” he said. “And there’s nothing wrong with saying, you know, um, that you’ve recalculated.”

Raffensperger responded: “Well, Mr. President, the challenge that you have is, the data you have is wrong.”

At another point, Trump said: “So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state.”

The rambling, at times incoherent conversation, offered a remarkable glimpse of how consumed and desperate the president remains about his loss, unwilling or unable to let the matter go and still believing he can reverse the results in enough battleground states to remain in office.

“There’s no way I lost Georgia,” Trump said, a phrase he repeated again and again on the call. “There’s no way. We won by hundreds of thousands of votes.”

Several of his allies were on the line as he spoke, including White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and conservative lawyer Cleta Mitchell, a prominent GOP lawyer whose involvement with Trump’s efforts had not been previously known.

In a statement, Mitchell said that Raffensperger’s office “has made many statements over the past two months that are simply not correct and everyone involved with the efforts on behalf of the President’s election challenge has said the same thing: show us your records on which you rely to make these statements that our numbers are wrong.”

The White House, the Trump campaign and Meadows did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Raffensperger’s office declined to comment.

quote:
At another point, Trump claimed that votes were scanned three times: “Brad, why did they put the votes in three times? You know, they put ’em in three times.”

Raffensperger responded: “Mr. President, they did not. We did an audit of that and we proved conclusively that they were not scanned three times.”

Trump sounded at turns confused and meandering. At one point, he referred to Kemp as “George.” He tossed out several different figures for Biden’s margin of victory in Georgia and referred to the Senate runoff, which is Tuesday, as happening “tomorrow” and “Monday.”

His desperation was perhaps most pronounced during an exchange with Germany, Raffensperger’s general counsel, in which he openly begged for validation.

Trump: “Do you think it’s possible that they shredded ballots in Fulton County? ’Cause that’s what the rumor is. And also that Dominion took out machines. That Dominion is really moving fast to get rid of their, uh, machinery. Do you know anything about that? Because that’s illegal.”

Germany responded: “No, Dominion has not moved any machinery out of Fulton County.”

Trump: “But have they moved the inner parts of the machines and replaced them with other parts?”

Germany: “No.”

Trump: “Are you sure? Ryan?”

Germany: “I’m sure. I’m sure, Mr. President.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com...ps://t.co/AsG5ohhHsN

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37929 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

And the number of republicans in Congress who are going to try to challenge, circumvent, ignore, overturn, or whatever the Electoral College is increasing. Plus, vice president Waffle is now saying he will support the effort.
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-55517626

Josh Hawley's sole argument seems to be that the 74M people who voted for I-1 are being silenced.

1) That's not how it works in the U.S. We choose a president by the Electoral College, not the popular vote (see: 2016).

2) Even if we did, Biden got 80M votes, 6M more than I-1.

3) Hillary Clinton got 3M more votes than I-1. I-1 said something about "democrats would never stand for republicans stealing an election like this". Ummmm... again... 2016.

Hypocrisy just doesn't register with these guys, does it? At least not when they are the ones doing it.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
And if Congress doesn't certify, approve, bless, or whatever they do to the Electoral College and the results of the election are still in question on January 20, the clear result will be...

President Nancy Pelosi.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/PreetBhara.../1345832542277144576

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
And if Congress doesn't certify, approve, bless, or whatever they do to the Electoral College and the results of the election are still in question on January 20, the clear result will be...

President Nancy Pelosi.
So ... first woman POTUS made history by accident due to Republican shenanigans?

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Attempted election fraud.

Threatening a State elected official and overseer of elections.

His lawyer was also on the phone, so conspiracy.

What else we got?

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting comments down the thread.

Especially those calling for him to be impeached immediately.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
OK, you folks have got to listen that tape!

I listened to the whole thing while cleaning the kitchen just now. A couple of things struck me:

1. The call has the GA Sec of State plus his general counsel, and the Trump side has Trump, Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, and a man and woman who must be lawyers. The game is the Trump team wants to talk the GA team into granting access to GA election data, but the GA team says state law doesn't allow it. Stalemate. So if you're Donald Trump, you think the best way to get what you want is by insulting members of the GA team? Calling them incompetent, suggesting they are criminals?

2. I do not know how anyone tolerates working for Trump. I could never work for a client like that. Trump's lawyers would be pursuing a line of questioning, and Trump would interrupt and derail the whole thing. He especially liked to interrupt the woman. Figures.

3. Near the end, Meadows proved himself to be a snake. The Trump team proposed that the teams meet to discuss the Trump team's election fraud allegations. GA general counsel says OK, we will meet with you. Then Mark Meadows says, "OK, so you're agreeing to meet with us and make available to us the election data." The GA general counsel said: "That's not what I said." He then went on to explain that he cannot make data available if it is protected by state law -- duh.

The takeaway for me is this: I am stunned that on Jan. 3, Trump is still trying to change the result of the vote in Georgia. The result has been certified, and flipping GA wouldn't change the outcome anyway. I started following Trump on Twitter after the election -- it's fun to watch him die a little bit every day, and it never gets old -- but I thought by now he would have started plotting his next chapter. Nope.

We are so very lucky to be rid of Trump in 17 days.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Don't know if this will post...

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18507 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Sk, that is perfect.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Transcript of the call, if you don’t want to spend an hour listening to the audio.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/03...ranscript/index.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Attempted election fraud.

Threatening a State elected official and overseer of elections.

His lawyer was also on the phone, so conspiracy.

What else we got?

In a just world, the Democrats and the few remaining ethical Republicans would join together and welcome the new AG's arrest of DJT on Jan. 21st. He likely committed multiple felonies in that phone call.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Can anyone answer this? Because I haven’t heard any commentators address it in the media.

Is the only thing protecting us from a Republican coup the fact that the House is (barely) majority Democratic?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13813 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post