well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    In case you have too much time on your hands

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In case you have too much time on your hands
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Interesting stuff!

The New York World's Fair Cookbook

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34983 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We should each pick a (weird) recipe and try preparing it.

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37983 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the “Stewed Rice” (page 148). It starts with a full cup of lard… Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34983 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was reading the Steamed Pudding (page 131) recipe to Mr wtg.

His reaction: “You lost me at the cup of chopped suet….”

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37983 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who collects community cookbooks... the ones from the Ladies' Garden Club of East Overshoe Minnesota and things like that.

Through the 1950s and 1960s, there were a disturbingly large number of recipes that included the word "congealed" in the name. Ummmm... thanks, no... I'm good.

I have one from West Virginia. The final recipe in the book, which I think was included mostly tongue-in-cheek, is for moonshine. It doesn't tell you the most important thing you need to know about distilling booze: you have to throw out the first part of the distillate because it contains a lot of methanol which is poisonous.

I have a 1920s(?) Fannie Farmer cookbook and a few others. I keep coming across recipes that call for ingredients one cannot find anymore (alum? does anyone even sell powdered alum anymore?) or that I've never even heard of, at least by the name they use.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post