well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Best Decade with the best economy, best music, lowest crime, etc.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Decade with the best economy, best music, lowest crime, etc.
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
h/t @taiwan_girl next door:

quote:

So, we looked at the data another way, measuring the gap between each person’s birth year and their ideal decade. The consistency of the resulting pattern delighted us: It shows that Americans feel nostalgia not for a specific era, but for a specific age.

The good old days when America was “great” aren’t the 1950s. They’re whatever decade you were 11, your parents knew the correct answer to any question, and you’d never heard of war crimes tribunals, microplastics or improvised explosive devices. Or when you were 15 and athletes and musicians still played hard and hadn’t sold out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...-to-data/ar-BB1mYttE

[EDITED to fix the link.]

Be sure to look at the graphs/charts in the article, I find them very illuminated. Smiler

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12730 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Link seems to be bad.

eta: Found it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...-to-data/ar-BB1mYttE

Same WaPo article that Steve gift linked.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38203 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Try this link:

Best decade

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Good stuff! ThumbsUp

(And lots of it)

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What a fascinating article! Thanks for posting it.

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Lots to digest in that data set. I can understand a lot of the nostalgia for our younger days. What really struck me was the enormous rise in pessimism about the present era, only matched or exceeded sometimes by the depression era. Made me think of the beginning lines of A Tale of Two Cities.

quote:
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way—in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7466 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm nostalgic about the '70's and 80's. The 90's weren't bad.

The country took a sharp turn for the worse after the 90's.

Jmho.

Posts: 25194 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Makes sense. We were young and hale, and the youth culture seemed natural and positive. Maybe the same for each generation?

On the other hand, I spent most of those young years sequestered in practice rooms trying to master the piano. I disdained the popular music of “my” generation. But I acknowledge the freedom and privilege to pursue my interests.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post