well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Gun safety legislation

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun safety legislation
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Senate bargainers announced a bipartisan framework Sunday responding to last month’s mass shootings, a noteworthy though limited breakthrough offering modest gun curbs and bolstered efforts to improve school safety and mental health programs.

https://apnews.com/article/gun...5fdbe4930e4341e74efb

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
"limited" being the operative word here. The only winners in this pablum framework are the GOP who can now say, "see, we worked with the Dems on this, we're being so reasonable" but essentially offered up nothing.

I can already here the "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good," but in this case given the majority of citizens support mandatory background checks, red flag laws, and "assault" weapons bans, this is a nothing.

quote:
Majorities of voters said they would definitely vote for candidates who want to increase mental health funding (86%), require stricter background checks (82%), support red flag laws (74%), want stricter gun laws generally (60%) and ban assault-style weapons, like AK-47s and AR-15s (56%).

Poll: Support for controlling gun violence hits its highest point in a decade

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
...and ban assault-style weapons, like AK-47s and AR-15s (56%).

quote:

Can't grasp that the smallest majority is for banning assault weapons. [Disgusted]. I see that and lifting age purchase limit to 21, as the clearest sine qua non.

Even though I trained as a clinical psychologist, I have far less faith in the magic of mental health intervention. Now especially (Covid stresssors), it seems there's a huge trend towards therapist burnout and their needing therapists themselves.

Zoom therapy is IMO far less effective too.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Even though I trained as a clinical psychologist, I have far less faith in the magic of mental health intervention. Now especially (Covid stresssors), it seems there's a huge trend towards therapist burnout and their needing therapists themselves.

Zoom therapy is IMO far less effective too.

I tend to agree--even the most talented psychologist/therapist is no match for the tribalization (if that's a term I can use) brought on by social media. Depending on where you choose to affiliate, or even something as simple as which articles you open in a news feed, you will be routed towards sites containing only information supporting a particular view. It takes effort to get out of this echo chamber, and I'm not even sure that everyone is aware how their social media is being curated behind the scenes.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post