well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The SAT has gone all digital

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SAT has gone all digital
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
https://www.npr.org/2024/03/05...digital-test-college

quote:
The SAT, a college admissions exam that for nearly a century was completed using paper and pencil, is now officially all-digital.

This week, students in the U.S. will begin taking the new SAT on their own devices — including a tablet or a laptop — or on school devices. The test is also one hour shorter (down from three hours), has shorter reading passages and uses digital tools, like a highlighter, a graphing calculator and a bookmark to go back to skipped questions.

The revamped test, which ditches the paper and pencil, aims to make cheating harder and grading easier.

Students will still take the exam at a test center or at a high school.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12693 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
I've heard that the math section is now adaptive - like if you get the easy questions right, it will start making the questions harder and harder until you start messing up. I believe they are trying to elimanate so many people getting perfect math scores but man, I would have HATED that when I was in school.

I honestly feel bad for kids these days and am so glad my last one started college in Fall 22. Every year, college admissions gets more competitive and then the following year kids who saw the previous class get rejected left and right apply to even more places in the hope of preventing that....which makes things even more competitive and results in more rejections which scares the next class into applying to even MORE places. LL#1 applied to 5 schools in 2019. LL#2 applied to 9 in 2022. And now I hear it is pretty average for kids to apply to 15-20 schools. Crazytown. But I understand why -- this year I know a kid who had a perfect 4.0 (unweighted), was captain of a sports team, and had solid but not life-changing-amazing extracurriculars who got rejected from Penn State Main campus and sent to a branch campus for 2 years. That's just wrong (in my day, branch campus students were mostly stoners whose only qualifications for college were "Breathing" and "can pay tuition"). College admissions is insane.

Posts: 4408 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post