well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    When the evidence says no but doctors say yes

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When the evidence says no but doctors say yes
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Long after research contradicts common medical practices, patients continue to demand them and physicians continue to deliver. The result is an epidemic of unnecessary and unhelpful treatments.

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Long after research contradicts common medical practices, patients continue to demand them and physicians continue to deliver. The result is an epidemic of unnecessary and unhelpful treatments.

This lines up rather too well with all of my phobias and biases about the medical profession…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:
quote:

This lines up rather too well with all of my phobias and biases about the medical profession…

I hope my tinfoil hat still works…

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I hope my tinfoil hat still works…

Early studies said they work, but subsequent research refutes that....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
From the article

quote:
stents for stable patients prevent zero heart attacks and extend the lives of patients a grand total of not at all.

Jeezus.

quote:
To that end, one of the president’s top candidates to head the FDA, tech investor Jim O’Neill, has openly advocated for drugs to be approved before they’re shown to work. “Let people start using them at their own risk,” O’Neill has argued.

Also Jeezus.

I've also read about this:
quote:
it took 10 years for large swaths of the medical community to stop referencing popular practices after their efficacy was unequivocally vanquished by science.

It's pretty frustrating to think that you might want to second-guess the experts you rely on to guide your medical care.

Also this
quote:
scheduling “emergencies-by-appointment” for patients to get stents, because, the report said, insurance is more likely to cover the procedure in an emergency situation.

is super frustrating.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
The latest that I've read about is that it's no longer recommended that patients fast before blood tests. The only number affected by fasting, it turns out, is triglycerides.

Have practices changed? They have not. My doctor's office still wants me to fast before blood tests.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
The moral of the story is . . . .

If there is any way to avoid a drug or a procedure, avoid it.

And do your homework.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I went to a doc in the box for the beginnings of a sinus infection. Told her that sometimes Flonase will knock it out but if I wait too long it takes a month to get rid of. I thought her approach was brilliant.

Wait a week, try the Flonase and if it doesn’t work fill the prescription. She left it up to me.

Flonase worked. I’m good.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"One half of me is a hopeless romantic, the other half is so damn realistic."
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rustyfingers
posted Hide Post
I've had this experience a couple of times too for both me and the kids. Here's a script so you don't have to come back, but don't fill it unless you need to.

I generally don't.

Except for bronchitis. If I get bronchitis, the only thing that clears it up is an antibiotic. And the research now says that it doesn't help. I think I may be an outlier on this one...

Problems are not the problem. Coping is the problem. --Virginia Satir

Posts: 8342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 11 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

And do your homework.

What's more likely, the doctor is full of sh!t or in the drug company's pocket, or you and your Internet searches produce a nice confirmation-biased glow as you avoid helpful approaches in favor of avoiding a drug or procedure?

Yes, doing your homework is always a good idea because it helps you ask the right questions about costs/benefits and the literature. But for most people, the patient's understanding of the literature is weak and often very biased in comparison with their physician's understanding.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Agreed, P*D. If you don't trust your doctor, get a new one. But don't assume that all doctors are charlatans out to line their pockets. That would be the drug companies.

I'll also plug the notion that you might want to have a few trusted medical websites that you go to. For me, it's Mayo Clinic. But I'm always surprised at the amount of garbage that's out on the internets on websites promoting things like "healthy living," that offer medical advice or random concoctions to the gullible. I'd also like to point out that even the most competent science journalist is frequently unable to write an error-free article or, if they are being honest, they have to write the equivalent of "more research is required," which then gets twisted into some version of "there's no proof that this works." (Italics to emphasize our fixation with proof, which is almost nonexistent in science).

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:

And do your homework.

What's more likely, the doctor is full of sh!t or in the drug company's pocket, or you and your Internet searches produce a nice confirmation-biased glow as you avoid helpful approaches in favor of avoiding a drug or procedure?

Yes, doing your homework is always a good idea because it helps you ask the right questions about costs/benefits and the literature. But for most people, the patient's understanding of the literature is weak and often very biased in comparison with their physician's understanding.

Where's that like button again?

quote:
Agreed, P*D. If you don't trust your doctor, get a new one.

I'm still looking for that like button.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
The man was an unusually self-possessed patient, so he asked the cardiologist about what he had found. The cardiologist was dismissive and told the man to “do more research.”

Wow!

I find this scenario most unusual in every regard, especially in how the patient was described - "dismissive". Furthermore, for a "dismissive doctor" to advise a patient to do more research! Haha, indeed!!

Au contraire, I have found that doctors up against a mystery patient tend to advise such patients to avoid the internet and their personal findings .

Speaking of Googling ones symptoms and diagnoses, I found to be an invitation to a contemptuous chuckle and shrug, eye rolling.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I'm not suggesting rejecting medical advice for internet nonsense.

I'm suggesting that U.S. medicine in general leans heavily toward treating things aggressively. Every problem (and even things that are not problems) should be treated with a drug or a device or an operation.

In my experience, many things respond very well to lifestyle changes. Or waiting and letting your body sort it out.

I just think that the risks and benefits of many things (as presented to patients) focus too much on the possible benefits while the risks are given short shrift.

But hey, if you want to try the latest drug or device or treatment or operation, go for it. How else will I learn whether the thing is safe enough for me?

Cindy -- astounded that people will actually use a prescription drug on their eyes to get longer eyelashes

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:

From what I can tell, this depends greatly on how old your doctor is.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post