well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    PJ’s Chicken Curry, sans chicken

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PJ’s Chicken Curry, sans chicken
 Login/Join

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted
We’re eating less meat chez Adagio, so I’m experimenting. PJ’s chicken curry, in the instant pot (how we’ve been doing it the past few years), no chicken.

I’m crisping tofu cubes in the oven, and they’ll go in at the last minute after the IP is done. Tofu is tossed with cornstarch, sesame oil, a bit of curry. We’ll serve it over brown rice.

fingers crossed it’s as delish as the usual! I’ll report back.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
It was good! Chicken is definitely better. But it was a good dinner. Mr. AM was happy.

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I use cauliflower florets. If they simmer in curry or chili for a while, they get soft and yummy and if you ate it with your eyes closed, you could believe they were clumps of ground beef. Cut them into bite size pieces.

Some carrots and garbanzos are good, too.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
I use cauliflower florets. If they simmer in curry or chili for a while, they get soft and yummy and if you ate it with your eyes closed, you could believe they were clumps of ground beef. Cut them into bite size pieces.

I put in cauliflower in the beginning, and it cooks down to sauce, but hmmm, I could put some in later. And garbanzos are a good idea. Instead of trying to replace the chicken, do something different.

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

I put in cauliflower in the beginning, and it cooks down to sauce, but hmmm, I could put some in later. And garbanzos are a good idea. Instead of trying to replace the chicken, do something different.

I’ve never cooked in an instant pot.

Sometimes I microwave the cauliflower for a minute or so until it’s soft, then simmer it in the curry for a while to absorb the yumminess.

If the whole point is to throw everything in, hit the button, and eat several hours later, yeah, I would try adding the cauliflower later in the program.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM

I’m crisping tofu cubes in the oven, and they’ll go in at the last minute after the IP is done. Tofu is tossed with cornstarch, sesame oil, a bit of curry. We’ll serve it over brown rice.

How do you crisp tofu in the oven? I haven't tried it. I assume you press and drain it first.

By the way, it's worth trying jackfruit as a meat substitute. It's frightening how close the texture is to meat. I get it in a jar at the Indian/Sri Lankan market. Much easier to deal with than working with the whole fruit.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM

How do you crisp tofu in the oven? I haven't tried it. I assume you press and drain it first.

By the way, it's worth trying jackfruit as a meat substitute. It's frightening how close the texture is to meat. I get it in a jar at the Indian/Sri Lankan market. Much easier to deal with than working with the whole fruit.

Yes, press and drain. We bought a tofu press because otherwise the instructions were “put it between cutting boards with paper towels and weight the top board with cans of food…” NOPE. I really like the press I bought on Amazon. Super simple to use. Noya Tofu Press

Pressed, cubed, tossed with 1 TBSP oil and ! TBSP cornstarch, plus whatever flavoring you want. Don’t add a liquid; it will make the cornstarch seize up (ask me now I know, and then I added some water). Bake on parchment or silpat for 25-30 mins, turning halfway through.