well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The wire above Manhattan
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The wire above Manhattan
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
yes, all religion is weird.

i don't remember the first time i sat through a communion ceremony at a friend's church. but how can there be anything weirder than the wine-and-wafer thing? Symbolically eating the flesh and blood of your savior?

I remember the first time I (knowingly) met a person who believed in that FOR REAL. Not symbolically, but believed the wine and wafer became the ACTUAL blood and body. I started asking questions like “could we go into your stomach afterward and sequence Christ’s genome?” They avoided answering and got pissed at me.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I understand how the crucifixion of Christ follows the human-sacrifice thing that goes back millennia, but wasn't previous human sacrifice done to appease the gods? Why would it involve consuming the body and blood? Sounds like something the Aztecs might have done though.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
quote:
I find it odd that my stove, for example, has a Sabbath mode, designed to let you program it to turn on and off at a certain time the following day, so that you can cook something without actually technically having to operate the stove on the Sabbath. Either you are allowed to use electronic things on the Sabbath or you aren't. Programming them to turn on in advance so you don't have to actually "operate" them on the Sabbath seems like a pretty big loophole, no?

now THAT is weird.

It’s the same issue with dimmer switches, I believe. If you turn the lights on before the Sabbath but turned them down, turning up the dimmer switch isn’t forbidden. That seems like a rationalization.

How about the Sabbath elevator - programmed to open at every floor so you can use it (enter, exit) without having to push any buttons.

Actually, when I was in Israel I found these "workarounds" to be fascinating. The question that is kind of goosey is "what is work." Is picking up your baby work? How about pushing a stroller, throwing a ball? Why is some work not work, while other work is forbidden?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jon-nyc:

I remember the first time I (knowingly) met a person who believed in that FOR REAL. Not symbolically, but believed the wine and wafer became the ACTUAL blood and body. I started asking questions like “could we go into your stomach afterward and sequence Christ’s genome?” They avoided answering and got pissed at me.[/QUO

ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It would be fascinating to sequence Jesus' genome. Big Grin

Or even just a basic DNA test - cause that whole immaculate conception thing should make for some interesting results. Does God have DNA?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
It would be fascinating to sequence Jesus' genome. Big Grin

Or even just a basic DNA test - cause that whole immaculate conception thing should make for some interesting results. Does God have DNA?

Hmmm, I dunno, but Mary would have.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

...Actually, when I was in Israel I found these "workarounds" to be fascinating. The question that is kind of goosey is "what is work." Is picking up your baby work? How about pushing a stroller, throwing a ball? Why is some work not work, while other work is forbidden?

That's one thing that REALLY PO's me about Judaism. Apparently "women's work" (housewife
/mother stuff) basically doesn't count Mad That excludes "heavy" work like vacuuming or mopping. (Big deal)!

Speaking of workarounds, my sons and I always laugh at all the wannabe Passover foods - they only use some variant of matzoh to make bread/chometz like foods. (Probably, Orthodox wouldn't allow it.

There was a hilarious article in a Jewish website, about artificial toes (lifelike) for Orthodox women to be able to wear sandals - apparently toes are immodest. None of the commentators could figure out if they were a real product or whether it was a joke.

Will look for it.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
OMG just found this!

'It is virtually unanimous among halachic authorities that one should not flush such a toilet on Shabbat. This is because doing so might be a violation of tzoveiah, the prohibition against coloring a substance or item on Shabbat.'

Flushing a Toilet on Shabbat - Dalet Amot of Halacha - OU Torahhttps://outorah.org › ...
But then I recently learned that observant Muslims have special (obligatory) prayers to be said BEFORE using the toilet, AFTER using the toilet and - can't quite remember - maybe even during. Some religious practices are tied for ludicrousness.

quote:
When leaving the toilet, one is advised to exit with the right foot, and say the Dua for leaving bathroom/toilet: "'الحمد لله الذي أذهب عني الأذى وعافاني'Alhamdu lillahil lazi azha-ba annill Aza Wa AA Fani. "Praise be to Allah who relieved me of the filth and gave me relief."

Islamic toilet etiquette - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Islamic_toilet_etiquette

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
About the toes.

Note: a "sheitel" is a wig worn by observant women to permit them to look attractive while shaving or cutting their real hair very short and covered by the wig (or a scarf, head wrap of some kind).

Never could get this! It seems looking at Hassidic housewives wearing sheitels, it's almost as if there's an unwritten rule that they have to be obviously fake. (They are VERY expensive, especially the ones made of real human hair. A husband is said to honor his wife by buying her especially high quality sheitels.)

typical Hasidic woman's high quality wig

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
yes, all religion is weird.

i don't remember the first time i sat through a communion ceremony at a friend's church. but how can there be anything weirder than the wine-and-wafer thing? Symbolically eating the flesh and blood of your savior?

I remember the first time I (knowingly) met a person who believed in that FOR REAL. Not symbolically, but believed the wine and wafer became the ACTUAL blood and body. I started asking questions like “could we go into your stomach afterward and sequence Christ’s genome?” They avoided answering and got pissed at me.

omg. i wish i'd been a fly on the wall for that conversation. ROTFLMAO

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post