well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Book release day!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Book release day!
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted
My new book, Catacombs, launches today!

I'm excited about it for a few reasons. I have a new publisher, Sourcebooks, which recently hit some list or other of top ten publishers in terms of sales. Since I came onboard, Penguin Random house has bought a 45% stake in Sourcebooks and they're the largest publisher in the world, I think. I'm hoping for good things.

It's getting a good reception, with Publishers Weekly using words like "nail-biting," "richly textured," and "character-driven," so that's good.

It's got an Oklahoma City setting, complete with the unbelievable-but-true backstory of a community of hundreds of Chinese immigrants building an underground network of rooms where they could escape poor living conditions and racism on the surface. (Check out OKC on the cover.)

And, for the first time, I got the attention of law enforcement after I chatted with city engineers about how my villain might set off a bomb under the city. I got a phone call from a very nice gentleman making sure that I didn't intend to draw a road map on how to do that and publish it for all to see. I assured him that I had no such plan. Smiler

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Having seen it it person, the cover is GORGEOUS!

(And the book itself is better.) .

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Sourcebooks reportedly has a goal to re-cover some or all of the backlist books to give the series a unified look.

I've already got a draft of the cover of the next one, Fathoms, and it continues this theme of two worlds, above and below. I think that ties in so well with the archaeological theme of the series. The Fathoms cover has an underwater image with a scuba diver where the catacombs are in...well...Catacombs. The existing cover for Rituals has that above/below splitscreen look, and I think all of the others could be configured that way.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
And thank you, dear. Smiler

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
First of all, congratulations!!! happydance

Second,

quote:
the unbelievable-but-true backstory of a community of hundreds of Chinese immigrants building an underground network of rooms where they could escape poor living conditions and racism on the surface

Wow! I had no idea! I googled, and I typed in "Oklahoma city Chinese" and it suggested "tunnels" as auto-fill! Wow!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18499 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Exciting! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Mazel Tov.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Wow! I had no idea! I googled, and I typed in "Oklahoma city Chinese" and it suggested "tunnels" as auto-fill! Wow!

It's not currently accessible, but we actually have a 1921 health department report documenting an inspection down there, as well as photos from 1969 when a portion of it was temporarily uncovered while the conference center was being built.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

happydance

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I was up past midnight, and realized it was August 13! So I fired up my kindle and downloaded my pre-ordered copy. Took it to the hospital (took a friend for endoscopy) but didn’t get a chance to read. So now it’s ready to rock and roll, but I have some housework to do first, before it gets too warm.

It will be my reward!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
So proud of you!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Ordered mine
Faye has moved to Oklahoma?
Saw an article and pictures about Ghost Orchids in Florida that are pollinated at night by large moths.
Thought the orchids might be good in one of Faye's stories, but they would not fit into Oklahoma.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
No, Chas, Faye hasn't moved. She just moves around. Smiler

This is the second book where she's gone to Oklahoma for work and to visit Joe's dad. The one I'm working on now will take her back to Florida.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
No, Chas, Faye hasn't moved. She just moves around. Smiler

This is the second book where she's gone to Oklahoma for work and to visit Joe's dad. The one I'm working on now will take her back to Florida.

Missed a book. Probably in the stack on my nightstand.
Yep, Burials even has a signature OK tornado on the cover.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Off to get my copy...

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post