well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Roundabouts are becoming very popular here

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roundabouts are becoming very popular here
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
This is accurate and informative. Especially D.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
100% truth. Big Grin

I don't understand why there aren't more roundabouts, tbh. Do they just require more room than a standard 4-way?

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
We have them everywhere, and I love them.

They are natural speed breaks. They are easier for pedestrians to manage. Fewer people die in them.

But boy, some folks really don't have a clue. You have to be so alert for the people who do not understand that if you are on the inside of one, you can't just bolt across another lane to exit.

Cindy -- who once had to go through Dupont circle three times to exit on the street she wanted

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

They're all over the place in Canberra, with the added bonus of going the wrong way. The first time I encountered one, I had to pull over and compose myself before I entered it.

I've also gone through a roundabout multiple times.... Big Grin

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I don't see how they're easier for pedestrians to manage.

Last year they put in two of those on the same street and the locals are freaking out.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The family of a judge from my hometown can start laughing and get carried away to he point of being non-functional.
They got stuck in the roundabout that circles the Arc de Triomphe. The laughing began. No one knows how long they circled.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Big Grin

They're all over the place in Canberra, with the added bonus of going the wrong way. The first time I encountered one, I had to pull over and compose myself before I entered it.

I've also gone through a roundabout multiple times.... Big Grin

This sounds like me, driving for the first time in England in the mid-80s, including circling in a given roundabout more than once. I thought it was a great feature, as sometimes I couldn't read the signs quickly enough to know which road I needed to take. I usually figured it out after two trips around.

My British co-worker told me the rule is that whoever is in the roundabout has the right of way, and that everybody else has to wait till the circle is clear to enter. It wasn't too bad in Yorkshire where I was often the only car on the road but I would have never dared to brave a London roundabout.

Around here, there is one in a shopping center parking lot. I almost got hit by a woman who wanted to get from point A to point B using the shortest path. That meant she was driving the wrong direction in the roundabout. I was in the roundabout going the correct direction. When I hit my horn and slammed on the brakes she flipped me the bird.

Nuts

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post