well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Teach a Man to Fish

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teach a Man to Fish
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Fishing and hunting are a really big thing here. I've been fishing once or twice but it never really interested me. Clay (Kim's FIL) been bugging me to go with him but I I've been putting it off.

But yesterday I went fishing on Lake Erie, partly because the weather was absolutely perfect - maybe the best weather we've had since I moved here. Lake was calm; no crowds because everyone stays home after Labor Day.

The family has this boat and it's really nice. Too nice for fishing, actually - we kind of made a mess on it.

It's stored in this giant warehouse when not in use - I've never seen that before. You call them up when you want to use the boat and they put it in the water for you. It's not cheap but it saves messing with a trailer, etc.

Fishing is a lot more fun when you catch fish - something that rarely happened in the past. I caught one Walleye and two fair-sized catfish. Clay caught several catfish as well. We threw the catfish back, but next time I'll keep them. They're said to be hard to fillet but it looks easy enough on YouTube. If I mess it up I can use it in dog mush.

Here's the walleye:

And here it is before Clay showed me how to fillet it. I cooked it up for dinner and I really like it!

One of the catfish:

And a big ore boat heading south from Lake Superior. Lake Erie is very shallow (we were in the middle of the lake and the depth finder showed some areas at only 5 ft.) so the big boats have to stay in the narrow shipping channel that they regularly dredge out.

The dredge tailings are dumped back in to the lake some distance from the channel. This creates an area they call "The Dump", which is where we found the fish.

The Dump looks like a series of hills and valleys on the depth finder and that's where the fish hang out, apparently.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Glad you caught some fish.
I recall watching someone stick a knife through a catfish head and into a board to hole the catfish while it was skinned.
Catfish with ginger can be very good. I will also eat it fried. It is one of the fried things I will eat.

c

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25713 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post