well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Big One

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Big One
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
I’ve always said “you pick your home, you pick your natural disaster”.

The last Big One was in January 1700. On average, they happen every 240 years. We are wa-a-a-ay overdue.

https://www.politico.com/news/...ard-tsunami-00058594

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Well written, and interesting news to me.

Thanks.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I left an earthquake zone in Missouri to live below an earthen dam. damn

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I used to work in a building that was in a river valley. The river was long gone when they lowered the lake it fed by about 11 feet.

about 40 miles upstream, another river in that system was dammed (earthen dam) in the early 1960s. About 15 years ago, someone noticed a trickle of water where a trickle shouldn't be. Everyone freaked out and figured the dam was going to give way and flood the entire valley to a depth of six to ten feet. Every major business built a wall of sandbags around it, including our building (mostly because we had the flight simulators in our building). We waited. We all got new laptops so we'd be able to work from home if the building shut down for weeks. We waited. Nothing happened. We waited a couple of years.

Finally, after much inspection and investigation, the news leaked out...

When they were building they dam, first they dug a culvert to divert the river. Apparently when the dam was finished, instead of removing the culvert, they just put a couple sheets of plywood over the end. After 45 years, the plywood rotted and started to fall apart. That was the source of the trickle.

For a few months after that, you could get all the sandbags and sand you wanted for real cheap.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The article said that Oregon was better prepared than Washington. That's a scary thought. As far as I can tell, Oregon's preparedness consists of sounding an alarm with (hopefully) enough time to give the low-lying coastal residents time to run to higher ground. And I use the term "run" advisedly, because there are only a few roads that lead up in elevation at the coast. The main drags just hug the coastline. On the other hand, a lot of the coast is fairly narrow, as in a small area of beach then a high series of cliffs/mountains/hills. I hope to never have to test the adequacy of the preparations.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post