well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Making your FB News Feed chronological

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making your FB News Feed chronological
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I'm not on FB, so I don't know how useful this info is.....

quote:
Facebook is broken, says whistleblower Frances Haugen, who worked on the company’s civic integrity team. In testimony before Congress and in the media, Haugen has argued that the social giant’s algorithms contribute to maladies that range from teen mental health issues to ethnic violence in Ethiopia. There’s no one solution that will fix all that’s wrong with Facebook—no, not even a new name—but one of Haugen’s suggestions stood out.

“I’m a strong proponent of chronological ranking, ordering by time with a little bit of spam demotion,” she told the Senate earlier this month. “We should have software that is human-scaled, where humans have conversations together, not computers facilitating who we get to hear from.”

Imagine that! Humans … having conversations … together. Haugen essentially recommends a Facebook News Feed where items appear as people post them, rather than in an order divined by the company’s algorithmic wizardry. In this world, likes and comments wouldn’t dictate what you see. It’s all a matter of timing—which would also prevent the algorithm from tossing logs onto the platform’s most inflammatory posts.

It’s not that radical a notion. Instagram only handed the algorithm the reins to your feed in 2016. Twitter took away chronology altogether that same year, only to reintroduce it as an option in 2018. And you can also ditch the algorithm in the Facebook News Feed right now, today. I know, because I’ve been doing it for the past two weeks.

https://www.wired.com/story/ho...4-1-reranked-by-vidi

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37957 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
If you are part of my few dozen actual close friends you are on my "friends, except acquaintances" list. If you are a little more casual, you are on my "friends" posts.

MOST of my post these days are public. I figure if I don't feel comfortable having the whole world see it, why post it because it'll probably end up being that way anyway these days.

And "meta" holy crap what a FAIL!!!! So telling!! First word association that came to mind was "metadata." Which, as we all know from these forums, is all the language and bedded in every post or photo we take or post or whatever. And the timing of this unfortunate name change with whistleblower testimony. Dumb!

That's like when Ford hired poet Marianne Moore to come up with a name for a revolutionary slightly smaller than full-size car in the late fifties.

She came up with "silver sword" "pastelogram" and "Mongoose Civique" but they kept turning her down has she was probably just having fun when she came up with names like "Utopian Turtletop".

I can't imagine how awful it must have been for her to find out Ford execs decided to name the car "Edsel."

--------------------------------
Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post