well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NYT article about how internet ratings work (attn Steve)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYT article about how internet ratings work (attn Steve)
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
This caught my eye after Steve’s post awhile back about online ratings being useless.

How internet rating systems work, or don’t (NYT article)

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18616 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Thanks! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35011 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Bottom line, ratings are mostly garbage. At best, read them. In my experience, it's often fairly easy to spot fake reviews.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Bottom line, ratings are mostly garbage. At best, read them. In my experience, it's often fairly easy to spot fake reviews.

Mary Anna agrees with you that ratings are mostly garbage.

I, on the other hand, have had tremedously good luck relying on TripAdvisor reviews (if you read them carefully!). We've stayed at a number of terrific places we never would have found but for TripAdvisor, and the only bad places we've ever stayed at were those for which we didn't look at TripAdvisor ratings.

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you really have to *read* the reviews, just relying on the number of stars isn't a good idea.

Which, ultimately, means that you have to spend time on things. This is the thing that's making me crazy as we do all these little (or not so little) projects with the new house! Everything feels like a black hole full of information of questionable merit.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18616 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post