well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Do you think it's true? (About Beethoven).

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you think it's true? (About Beethoven).
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
But then is it more implausible than what we already "know"?

Comments interesting.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
No idea, but IIRC correctly, there's a scene in Immortal Beloved where he's kind of half on top of the piano, lid closed, with his ear on the lid and playing on the keyboard with one hand while composing.

I think that was in Immortal Beloved?

I should watch that movie again! Good excuse! Smiler

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18616 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
No idea, but IIRC correctly, there's a scene in Immortal Beloved where he's kind of half on top of the piano, lid closed, with his ear on the lid and playing on the keyboard with one hand while composing.

I think that was in Immortal Beloved?

I should watch that movie again! Good excuse! Smiler

I loved that movie…

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9814 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Bone conduction is a "thing," but it wouldn't directly translate into pitch without having to learn to associate very small changes in vibration to a particular pitch.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
it wouldn't directly translate into pitch without having to learn to associate very small changes in vibration to a particular pitch

Good point.

Although, Beethoven would have had memory of pitch from his hearing days so maybe the vibration was enough?

No idea, I'm just thinking out loud....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18616 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Hmmm. Bone conduction is a "thing," but it wouldn't directly translate into pitch without having to learn to associate very small changes in vibration to a particular pitch.
Having used the screw driver on the motor method over the years, I can confirm that you can definitely identify the frequency of vibrations. So it's possible Beethoven used bone conduction in the manner described.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I play fiddle without a shoulder rest. I put the fiddle on my collarbone.
My intonation improved as a result.
The cello vibrates so well that I wanted to take it up again, but my shoulder trouble prevented that.

When you play a D on the first string the D string vibrates in sympathy which gives the player a confirmation of pitch accuracy.
IMO that also helps the player learn the pitch of the other notes.
Would not have a fiddle with frets.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25746 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Having never played a stringed instrument or did a screw driver on the motor (whatever that is, but I'm assuming it doesn't mean drinking orange juice and vodka while watching someone fix your car--though it should be--), it's fascinating to think that he could have done this. It's kind of cool to think that it is a possibility.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post