well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The rise of stealerships

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The rise of stealerships
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Inside the rise of 'stealerships' and the shady economics of car buying

https://www.npr.org/sections/m...nomics-of-car-buying

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37975 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ugh. We want to get a new car, but this is exactly the reason we're waiting.

When we do start shopping, I think we will definitely say that we're not trading in our car, for starters...

And I'm going to have to learn how to be hard-assed haggler. Which is not at all in my nature.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18585 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I come from a long line of hagglers. Was taught haggling methods as a child.
I think my sister was the best haggler of the three children.

I shop online for a while. Then i decide to keep the truck and buy the gas.
Then the cycle repeats.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25726 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I choose make model and options I want, contact 4-5 dealers and ask for internet sales department. Invariably 1-2 will jack me around and try to get me to come in. I stop dealing with those.

The others I give them the specs and ask for their best ‘out the door’ price. I stipulate no trade and no financing (two places they do their mischief). I also let the. Know I’m buying lowest bid, not shopping it around, so they are incentivized to come in as low as they can.

I’ve done well with this method.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I choose make model and options I want, contact 4-5 dealers and ask for internet sales department. Invariably 1-2 will jack me around and try to get me to come in. I stop dealing with those.

The others I give them the specs and ask for their best ‘out the door’ price. I stipulate no trade and no financing (two places they do their mischief). I also let the. Know I’m buying lowest bid, not shopping it around, so they are incentivized to come in as low as they can.

This might be a method I can actually do. Thanks!

Posts: 18585 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:

I’ve done well with this method.

Great way to work it. Thanks
Will do this when they get some stock.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25726 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I do similar. Determine what car and model I want, then visit dealers with the offer of I will write you a check for X dollars out the door. No license fees, no add insurance, no plus taxes or fees. They then have only two answers - yes or no. If it’s anything else we walk. But my offer is always fair.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13565 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Tell them you want an email response. Don’t let them tell you to come in for the price. That’s when they start their ****.

Also look at the quote carefully to make sure it’s an “out the door” price.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I have bought cars from the same dealership for 12 years now. The current general manager is the guy who was a straight arrow in selling me my first car from that dealership in 2009. It was actually a car for European delivery. We tend to return to them, and get honest deals. Rare, I know.

Posts: 12559 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
In 1992 I bought a Saturn. It was a good car. Not a luxury car, but a decent basic car. But the experience was outstanding. Walked in, drove a car, looked at the price list, told them what model and color I wanted, and that was it.

I’ve had more emotionally challenging experiences buying vegetables.

I owned it for 11 years. First, last, and only new car I’ve ever owned. I would buy another brand new 1992 Saturn for $8195 (even adjusted for inflation) in a heartbeat.

GM killed Saturn because their customer satisfaction was so high that they were making every other GM division look bad, especially Cadillac.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve had more emotionally challenging experiences buying vegetables.

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 12559 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Wonder if any of that article applies to piano dealerships. I have been thinking about trading in my concert grand for a smaller one.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13819 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It used to be simple. You found the invoice price. You found out if the car sold for invoice. If not, it sold for invoice + x. You found the value of x. You went to the dealer and said take it or leave it.

I bought my Subaru this way.
I negotiated a deal for my grandfather when he bought a Honda this way. I figured out the price we would pay for our Audi down to the dollar

On a tangent, if I could, I'd buy a new Honda Civic, an Audi A4 S, and a Ford F150.

Edited to add-- I agree with Mik. The key is to force the dealership to say yes or no and to be willing to walk.

Posts: 24750 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder if any of that article applies to piano dealerships.

Without a doubt.