well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Thermometers

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thermometers
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted
Anyone have and use one of those forehead infrared thermometers at home? I have 3 of the digital mouth kind and they don’t agree. Highest and lowest are 2 degrees different with the third smack in the middle.

Jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17681 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm not impressed with any of the digital thermometers, whether they be oral, forehead, or touchless.

I've gone back to using a glass mercury thermometer. A glass thermometer with alcohol would be an alternative.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Write off accuracy.

Just use the same device every time and get a baseline.

I’ve been taking my temperature every morning since transplant. I run low, and the device probably does too. I typically run 96.5 or so on this device.

But I know that. So if I take my temperature and it says ‘98.6’ I know there’s a problem.

But if I didn’t have that baseline, felt feverish, and read 98.6 I’d think I was totally fine.

When Covid started I bought a device each for my wife and son and they started recording daily readings also. They/their devices also run low.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
I'm not impressed with any of the digital thermometers, whether they be oral, forehead, or touchless.

I've gone back to using a glass mercury thermometer. A glass thermometer with alcohol would be an alternative.

Couldn't find any.

jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17681 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Looks like they've gone the way of the dinosaur. I have a couple inherited from various family members over the years. I used to have more but gave them away earlier this year to people who couldn't find a thermometer of any kind during the initial COVID shortages.

Guess jon's strategy is the way to go...

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37966 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I ordered some fabric masks a week or two ago, and had them throw in a digital thermometer for $4. It has a voice feature to tell you what the temperature reading is.

The voice speaks English, but has an accent. Big Grin

Oh, and it read my temp as 98.25. I took my temp with a mercury thermometer and it was 98.2.

slight thread drift....we both have our Medicare prescription drug plans with Humana, and they sent each of us a cloth mask. They fit nicely around the face and have a nose wire. We wear a disposable mask over the top of the cloth one.

I poked around online and of course found the same mask available for sale. Shipping was like $5; they came snail mail.

https://humana.jprmedical.com/...0-pack-available-now

Interestingly, the same thermometer that was $3.99 when I ordered is now $5.99....their pricing seems to be all over the map. I noticed that with the masks. I bought black ones that were $20 for ten of them; the same mask in green is $25 for a ten pack.

The masks seem to be from a company called reNEU. reNEU charges a ton more for the masks on their site than JPRMedical does.

Bazootiehead-in-training